Search

Leopard baiting at Mara Intrepids?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leopard baiting at Mara Intrepids?

Hello,

Whilst researching my Kenya trip I came across several references to leopard being baited at Mara Intrepids. Has anyone stayed there who can confirm or deny this?

I don't want to stay there if that's the case.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:03 AM

Hello Julian,
When I was researching my trip to Samburu I thought I had read something somewhere about leopard baiting at Samburu Intrepids. I couldn’t find anything, but I did find references of leopard baiting at Samburu Lodge, so I thought that was what I’d seen. While staying at Samburu Intrepids I could confirm that there definitely wasn’t any baiting.

Now I’ve had a look at Mara Intrepids and in the Bradt Guide from 2004 leopard baiting is mentioned. The website says nothing about it, so maybe it’s been stopped. http://www.heritage-eastafrica.com/H...epids-mara.htm

Anyway, there are lots of other camps in the Mara. I’d recommend Basecamp http://www.basecampexplorer.com/masaimara/en

Salaam,
Susanna
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Hello Nyamera,

I read it in the Bradt guide as well as in some operators' website (not Heritage Hotels). I think the camp is a bit large for me anyhow (30 tents) but I wanted to find out about the baiting. I sent an email to Heritage but have yet to hear back.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:41 PM

I was at the Mara Intrepids in February, 2002 and if you mean luring a leopard with bait, then, yes they did it every evening. They used a goat and hung it from a a large, bare tree trunk around sunset. I have the whole thing on video. It was a real drawing card for us tourists.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:50 PM

hi, how lame is that.i've heard of this also. wouldn't stay there either. for that kind of silliness. also, i've seen the place. (having my truck looked at. my driver knows the people there.)too much like a hotel, too many people, they get rounded up like on cruise ship to see what to do.
like sue says, BASECAMP.
good luck, david
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

Still haven't heard back from Heritage about this, but given what I've heard here I'm crossing Intrepids off my list. Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

I've just received a reply from Heritage Hotels to the effect that leopard baiting no longer occurs at Mara Intrepids. I don't think I'll be staying there anyhow given what people have said about the size and atmosphere, but just wanted to let people know.

Cheers,
Julian