Latest Delta news

Apr 12th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Latest Delta news

The attached link has latest news and sightings from various camps in Botswana

http://www.ultimateafrica.com/update.htm

and, sorry Liz, by the sound of things, it's still raining!
Apr 12th, 2004, 08:42 AM
LizFrazier

Thanks Ruth-
I have never seen Botswana any other way but parched and dry. I wanted a whole new experience and I will surely be getting it. I see Maun will have thundershowers most of next week, but whether it will affect us, who knows. I always pack our ponchos for the rain and as long as I get to see the stars once in a while that's fine.
Lets just hope this doesn't run on into May, June and July. This may really be a most unusual year. I hope they don't have to start closing the camps. Liz

Apr 12th, 2004, 11:57 AM

How do you guys think this large amount of rain will effect a trip this June? Is flooding of camps a real concern? I'm considering camps such as Sandibe, Nxabega, Lagoon, Lebala, Kwara and Chiefs.....does anyone have any experience or comments on these camps during high floods / lots of rain?
Apr 12th, 2004, 12:41 PM
LizFrazier

Chooch- The reports keep saying this is the biggest flood in 20 years. I too am wondering the answer to your question. So far those returning had glowing reports. So....... I'd say so far so good. I think I'll be the next over and back. I'll be back the 24th of this month. One of the camps I'm visiting is on an island, Shinde Island. It is completely surrounded by water. I am beginning to worry. I packed our ponchos and will forge ahead.
It sounds from this report that even the safari companies are 'playing it by ear'. S-C-A-R-Y!!! If I don't get back, maybe you shouldn't go. JUST KIDDING!! I'm sure we'll be fine. I just hope the rains stop. I guess we're in it together. Liz

Apr 12th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Liz
I'm sure you'll be OK - I would hope your agent would have let you know if the camp were actually experiencing problems because of the water levels.
I think you're going to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience in the Delta this year... very special indeed.
Apr 12th, 2004, 05:45 PM

The farmers are having it tough around the delta but at Nxabega they didn't seem too worried, a little curious about how high the water would go but that's all. The rain on the roads was getting them a little. We had a rescue truck that came to pull us out when they were stuck. My husband wishes he had a picture of the guy driving the truck when it hit the mud and sunk. He was laughing so hard he didn't know what to do. Said he had never seen anything like this. There were lots of dry spots. I don't think it's any big deal. I feel kind of lucky that we saw it as no-one else has for a very long time. It was cool. (Getting stuck a lot was not all that cool. We were anxious for better things but que sera)Liz I know you will have a wonderful time.
Apr 13th, 2004, 06:28 AM

Exciting! I'll be looking for Liz's posting as soon as she's back!

Search this Thread