Kruger safety?

Aug 1st, 2007, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Kruger safety?

I am planning a family holiday in SA the first leg of which will be a self drive in Kruger and vicinity. Plan to arrive JNB and fly on to Nelspruit/KMIA where I will rent a car from KMIA airport, and self drive Kruger for seven days. After this I may spend another day or two touring the Panaromic Route and then return the car back at KMIA from where I will proceed to Cape Town. Do you think this is reasonably safe to do as a family?

In Cape Town and vicinity I plan to use a private guide mainly for safety reasons.

Regards
Mohammed
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:01 AM

I have done this about 4 years back and found it to be safe. Take the usual precautions - lock the car when you're in it, dont leave any valuables in the car when its parked, dont offer lifts to strangers, keep your wits about you etc. and you should be fine.

The important thing is to not become complacent. I did a few things which in hindsight might sound silly, but I must admit that it gave me an insight into local life and a chance to meet people.
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:57 AM

Yes, it is safe. Outside Kruger, follow the same rules you would when driving anywhere -- doors locked, luggage stowed in the trunk.

While driving in Kruger, leave the car windows open so you can hear the sounds of the bush. But when parked at your accommodation, lock it all up carefully -- monkeys like to get in and play havoc.

Self-driving in South Africa is a very rewarding way to see the country; you'll love it!

Celia
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:05 AM

my friend and I (two small girls) drove from JNB to Kruger and back in about 6 days. In a VW Chico. We had no problem inside or outside of Kruger. Just use reasonable precautions as mentioned above. In Kruger, you spend a lot of time in your vehicle, so you may want something a little bigger and plusher than a chico. Have a blast! Wish I could join you!!
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:38 AM

hi, mohammed,

can't help you with the Kruger bit as we haven't been there, but we did just come back from CPT and the garden route, and you don't need to worry about having a private guide.

we walked round the city during the day, and drove as well, with no problems. At night we got taxis - very reasonably priced. with a good map [we used the insight fleximap, which was excellent] you should be fine.

regards, ann
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the responses and tips etc. Gives me some confindence to venture into Kruger on a self drive safari with my family. I have travelled 6 continents over the past 35 years and regularly go into the deep jungles of Sri Lanka facing off wild elephants and what not. Surprising at what scares one sometimies!