kirkmans to exeter lodge /or dulini in sabi sands, south africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can get 2 nights only at Kirkman's and our agent suggested 2 additional nights either at exeter river lodge or dulini. We would have to self drive from Kirkman's to the other 2. Has anyone done this drive and have any idea about how long it takes? Does this seem like a good option. He thinks we would see 2 varied habitats. If 2 more nights open at kirkman's would you recommend doing that or think it is too long. Thank you for any help .
Old May 19th, 2012, 07:32 PM

I've driven through Sabi Sand to get to various camps, including Dulini. It shouldn't take much more than 1/2 hr to get from one place to the other. You need to take it easy because some areas of the dirt road get a corrugated feel that seems to be rattling the car's rivets off. I don't think you'll see much of a varied habitat, but some people like to sample different camps. Personally, I think I'd prefer just staying in one spot the 4 nights to relax into that one camp. I think you'd really like staying at one of the Exeter camps for the entire 4 nights.
Old May 20th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

thanks. i think the only one that might come available for 4 nights is kirkman's. would you recommend that? thanks, ellen a
Old May 20th, 2012, 05:36 AM

It's a pretty easy drive, and you will be hugging some fence lines for about half of the drive. Just make sure you get clear and concise directions, as the camps don't have very good (or obvious) signs on where to go.
Old May 20th, 2012, 05:39 AM

Sorry, ellena, I haven't stayed at Kirkman's so can't say yes or no. I can say that it's an &Beyond property and I've stayed at many of their camps throughout Africa without being disappointed. Perhaps another poster will tell of his/her experiences there. Did your agent mention that &Beyond has a Stay 4/Pay 3 deal for many of their SA camps? Good luck with your booking. Steve
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:18 AM

Haven't stayed Kirkman's, only Dulini -- but did pop in to Exeter so can picture it quite well. At the time (last Sept.) the river was so low that I don't think the advantages and beauty of Exeter's situation could be properly experienced. We really loved Dulini; intimate with only 6 rooms, spacious lovely suites, phenomenal and very sweet service. Best of all: only 6 per vehicle, where Exeter has more, I think up to 9. This can make a big difference to comfort and to viewing of animals, which is after all why you are there in the first place. You will have a wonderful time.
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

thanks. i do know stay 4, pay 3.

the river was one of my interests, but definitely the smaller game drive is a priority. i would love feedback if kirkman's is worth 4 nights if it does come up.

i am told that at the moment you have to go out of the reserve and enter a different gate. there is some negotiation about opening the road between camps and maybe agreed upon before sept.

ellena
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:42 AM

I do think that staying in the one place for 4 nights would be worth it if possible; otherwise too much time wasted in traveling, unpacking, meeting people, etc. We stayed in 3 &beyond lodges for 4 nights each and found that to be barely enough. Doing it again we'd choose 2 places, 6 nights each.
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

kirkman's anybody? my concern is that it is a little larger than other 2 ?
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:38 AM

Kirkman's is very nice and you are sure to enjoy the stay. Even if its slightly larger, it will not have a significant impact on your stay as the number of passengers in safari vehicles are limited, so you won't feel crowded.
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed our stay at Exeter River...we had great sightings...would be happy to post a pic album if it would give you an idea of the camp...mostly it shows the wildlife we experienced...I can tell you that when we were there it was great for leopard!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=8687434bd6
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

thanks, your pics are great! so far, i think we are going with kirkman's because we just were able to get 4 nights and decided not to move around . given the advice i got here and the fact that we are driving back and forth from swaziland on those days, i took the lodge that could confirm 4 nights. hope it is a good choice. if anybody has any suggestions for swaziland, we will have 4-5 days to explore there while visiting my son. again, thanks.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:07 AM

I'm actually not sure if you can get from Kirkmans (a lodge reachable via Shawns Gate) to Dulini (reachable via Newington Gate) while staying IN the reserve.

AFAIK, you can only use communal roads (but in this case that road goes through Umkumbe and ends in Dudley, the uncommercalized block in between Umkumbe and Londolozi) and/or cutlines (but in this case there are none except the western reserve border itself.

If you look at it on a map, the fastest way is to go out one gate, and in the other. There's good roads there, useable by regular cars. That I know for sure as transfer companies use them as well, as shortcuts.

Ciao,

J.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:19 AM

ellena, I think staying in the one spot will help you fall into a relaxed and comfortable routine and add to your enjoyment of Sabi Sand. I'm willing to bet you're going to have one great time at Kirkman's. Have fun. Steve
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

thanks . ellen