Search

Kilimanjaro help, please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kilimanjaro help, please

For two men late twenties who can only travel May to September, what month do you recommend?
What companies/operators offer the safest climbing experience?
Is the Marango route the way to go?
Safety is absolutely the key, and not bare bones if possible.
Tents v. huts??
Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
I have searched and found that Kiliwarriors and wildfrontiers mentioned a couple of times on the threads.

Thanks
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 08:45 AM

I'm trekking up Kili the end of June then going on a safari.

There is so much information on the web answering all of your questions. Try Youtube for some great videos of the various routes up Kili. They are all different, each with its pros and cons. You have to choose what you want your experience to be like.

All of the outfitters have good info on their websites.
The prices are all over the place, some seem really inexpensive, some are outrageous. Pick somebody reputable if you want a good safe trek.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Who are you using? Which route?
Yikes I see Kiliwarriors (looks expensive), Tusker, Bobby's, climbingkilimanjaro.com (who seem to be a middle man for Zara and Leopard tours).
I don't want the K Mart price for obvious reasons, but I don't want the outrageous!!!!
Thanks.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Marango or Macheme should run in the $1500+/price range. Some will be way higher, others less. I do not recommend going for less when it comes to Kili. While it's not Everest, and the lower parts are easy, Kili can kill. So go with a reputable outfitter. You can add Roy Safaris to the list.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 07:07 PM

The prices for the permits went up so a decently outfitted trek will be around $1800 now. Any less and they are cutting corners and not paying the porters well. Not a good idea when your life literally depends on them.

KiliWarriors and Tusker are very expensive. I know they offer a lot of bells and whistles, but I prefer a simpler, quieter trek and I don't need coddling or a porter hauling a private loo. (Might change my mind on that when I get a whiff of the one at Barranco)

I'm going with Henry Stedman's company. Looks like a good safe and reputable outfit and reasonably priced and flexible. http://www.climbmountkilimanjaro.com Loads of good info there.

Zara, Bobby etc. don't do the treks, they just hire a local outfit and heaven only knows what you are getting. Some of the info on the Bobby site is just wrong.

I have selected the Machame route because I want to hike through the rain forest and across the Shira plateau. I'm interested in getting a good look at the plant diversity, and hoping to see some great birds and maybe a colobus monkey. For me it's not just about making it to the top (although I'm determined to do so) but about enjoying getting there.

I also like tent camping and wanted to avoid the huts. Just seems weird to be partying and drinking Coke and beer while trekking up Kili. That seems more appropriate for a hostel & backpack tour of Europe...

I haven't finalized my trek plans with Henry yet so you won't see my trek listed but I'm going to start trekking June 24 and do a 7 day Machame.

Anyone want to join me? My hiking buddy hurt his knee skiing and needs surgery so won't be recovered for the trek -- I am hoping to find some trek companions.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much mowmow for all the detail.
I had looked briefly at climbmountkilimanjaro.com site but then got onto climbingkilimanjaro.com which is a different outfit.
There were one or two slightly negative comments online about the latter.
sandi: I emailed Roy's.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

I received this quote from DUMA EXPLORER which is recommended on TripAdvisor.
I haven't heard back from any of the other email inquiries yet.
Any comments???

Kilimanjaro route: Lemosho 8 days US $2469/person
Hello and thank you for your interest in Duma Explorer. We would be happy to arrange a Kilimanjaro climb for you and I recommend the 8 day Lemosho climb as the success rate is almost 100%. The seven day Machame climb has about an 80% success rate so the rate definitely decreases for shorter climbs.
The climb includes the following items:
All park entrance, camping and rescue fees,
All meals and filtered drinking water while on the mountain,
Guide, cook and porter salaries and fees (porters are paid according to national park recommendations),
Camping equipment including mountaineering sleeping and mess tents, toilet tent, chairs and tables,
Transfer to/from Kilimanjaro National Park
The climb does not include gratuities, soda/alcohol, energy snacks and drinks such as Power Bars, personal camping equipment such as sleeping bags, visa fees, travel/health insurance, airfare, or items of a personal nature.
------------------------------------------------------

For a short safari in August or September Price: USD 1050/person
I would recommend visiting Tarangire and Ngorongoro. I have suggested a three day itinerary below staying in standard lodging.
Day 1: Arusha to Tarangire. Game drive overnight Tarangire Safari Lodge.
Day 2: Tarangire half day. Transfer to Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge after the Tarangire game drive.
Day 3: Ngorongoro Crater game drive back to Arusha.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

FYI Roy's is now sending requests to them to an outfit in the USA.
One major question: the cost of all the gear seems like it might really mount up cost-wise when we look at the packing lists. Is this so? We see different kinds of jackets, gloves etc. being recommended for different parts of the climb up/descent; for wind/cold and then rain. Not to mention top quality boots, sleeping bag, backpack, goggles etc..
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:04 PM

Yes the gear can add up. You have to buy all your clothing, but most of the outfitters can rent you poles, sleeping bags, gaiters, etc. Some can even rent rain gear but I'm buying my own.

The post-winter sales will be happening soon so it will be a good time to get cold weather gear. Try your local thrift stores.. it's amazing what you can find there.

You hike through such different climate zones on Kili that you need lots of layers. Make all the clothes work really hard: performance T can be a base-layer, heavier base layer can be PJ's, take convertible pants etc. You need base layers, mid/light weight fleece or sweater, and heavier sweater/fleece jacket. You can cover all that with a rain shell on summit night and you'll be fine.Forget the down. Don't need that. You'll get too hot hiking in it and it's too bulky. Add a knit hat/ski mask, warm gloves, and good sunglasses (don't need goggles) and you're set.

You don't have to spend a fortune on boots, just need a solid pair of waterproof ones. I'm getting some Merrell's.
You need a 30L pack, just big enough for the gear/water you need that day. The porter will carry everything else.

Good luck
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I looked at the special Rongai route too on the above site and that sounds interesting. It looks like their treks are in the $2000 range. Do you know anyone who has climbed with climbmountkilimanjaro.com? I have been wading through so many websites!!!!
Thanks for the suggestions re thrift shops etc.. I would like to use an outfitter where I can rent a lot of the stuff.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Oh, you mentioned a safari too mowmow.
Are you arranging that with the same company.
I emailed them yesterday but no response so far.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 08:15 AM

Henry responded quite promptly to my emails. He's currently traveling in Tanzania and probably on a trek so his replies will take longer for a couple of weeks. He hasn't updated the "news" section for about 2 weeks.

I am going on a safari/gorilla trek with Overseas Adventure Travel and am meeting them in Arusha June 30. That's why my trek start date is 6/24 and not flexible. I couldn't find a travel companion, so I wanted to join a tour group. I went to Turkey and Egypt with OAT and enjoyed both very much.

I arranged my own airfare on Ethiopian, doing the Kili trek with climbkilimanjaro, the safari with OAT, then adding a second day of gorilla trekking in Rwanda before coming home.

I just spent $280 on Sierra Trading Post last night on trek clothes...and that didn't include my pack or boots. The upside is now I have some new stuff to wear hiking here at home, too.

It looks like all the Kili trek companies know agencies on the ground who can arrange a safari for you after your trek, or you can read on this board and contact someone they recommend directly.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 06:43 PM

I chose Tusker for their safety record and success record. They have a porter dedicated to carrying the safety gear, which includes not only oxygen, but also a stretcher and a hyperbaric chamber. The guides also have Wilderness First Responder training, and a comprehensive first aid kit, including drugs for high altitude sickness. They gave us a health check every morning - checking our heart rates with a stethescope and our blood oxygen levels with another device.

The guides closely monitor your health during the trek - sometimes it was a bit annoying - I developed a cough and they were forever checking in with me.

In terms of safety and success, my research told me that time to acclimate was most important. So, make sure you compare time on the mountain when evaluating companies. More days to acclimate leads to higher safety and higher success.

I will point out that Tusker is also one of the most expensive companies, but you do get a very high standard of service and equipment. Other companies I evaluated were Thomson Safaris and Kiliwarriors.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Kiliwarriors was very expensive. I have been investigating climbmountkilimanjaro.com, Marangu Hotel, Roy's among others. These do not have all the safety equipment, but in some cases you can pay a few dollars extra for them to take oxygen along. The cost seems to be $1800 to $2000 with a couple of nights in a hotel and transfers included.

How many layers did you need for summit day lifelist?
Any advice re clothing etc?

mowmow..did you buy capilene or smartwool or something different? Interested to now what you got at STP (one of my favourites). Baselayers seem to be key. Looking at Asolo boots.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 07:02 AM

We spent a month in Kenya and Tanzania this past August and met several groups that had climbed Kilimanjaro. We did not. However, in talking to the groups, one thing became quickly apparent. The groups seemed to either rave about the experience or show a decided lack of enthusiasm for the climb. The groups that raved had usually reached the peak - those that didn't usually had at least some members that did not make it to the summit. It seemed that the biggest difference was the company that the groups had climbed with. Some raved about everything - the guides, the food, the equipment, the assistance they received (before and during the climb). Those that had not had a good experience complained about the same things that their counterparts raved about. We concluded that, on Kilimanjaro, you get what you pay for. If we ever undertake the climb, I would definitely not skimp on the company I climb with. It seemed to be the determining factor on the success/enjoyment of the climb. Keep that in mind when selecting who to climb with. Robin
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Robin.

The expensive climbs are in the $3500 to $4000 range and that seems over the top to me.
However, there are many that look good for $2000.

I am looking at the number of people who accompany the climbers. One outfit writes that for three of us:
Quote:
You would have a crew of 11, perhaps 12. There would be 3 guides, a cook and porters.
Other outfits talk about one guide for 3 people.

I am also looking at success rate.
Quote:
What we find is that about 90% of our climbers reach the crater rim at Gillman's and Stella Points and overall something a little less than 80% reach Uhuru.

Now that seems low to me (or is it honest??). Crater rim to me is not summitting. Any thoughts?

Other outfits state in the mid 90s percent summit success, which I assume is Uhuru, with a 7 day climb.

It would be great if there were a definitive answer as to which outfitter!!!!

I am staying away from the low quotes, although to be honest they are VERY few. Actually I am going nuts doing the research!!!!!!!

Thanks for any help/advice/suggestions.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:20 AM

According to my journal, the two groups that seemed happy with their climbs had gone with Mt. Kilimanjaro Safari Club (a group of four Canadians - 2 adults/2 teenagers that had all made it to the top) and Kiliwarriors (a 30-something couple who had also made it to the top). The latter were particularly happy with the whole experience. Unfortunately, I didn't record the companies that the unhappy climbers had gone with. Robin
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:35 AM

<i>What we find is that about 90% of our climbers reach the crater rim at Gillman's and Stella Points and overall something a little less than 80% reach Uhuru. Now that seems low to me (or is it honest??). Crater rim to me is not summitting. Any thoughts?</i>

Based on the groups we talked to, those numbers do not surprise me and do not seem low. Most groups we met had at least some members who did not make it to the summit. For example, we stayed with a group at Serian Camp in the Mara, who had just completed the climb. They were a group of ten from NJ and London - three teenagers and seven (~50 years) adults. Only four had made it to the top and you never could have picked out the "successful" climbers by looking at the group. Two of the teenagers, who both looked very fit, did not finish the climb. All of them had trained for months in advance with long walks and hikes. They seemed to think that their guides had them climb too quickly. They complained about the food and the equipment they were given. Several of the adults had not enjoyed the experience. Unfortunately, I did not ask what company they had climbed with. Robin
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 03:15 PM

What you'll need for the summit will depend on what time your guides take you up. My trip with Tusker included an overnight in the crater itself, so we went up to the summit during the day. A lot of companies start from lower down and will descend the same day, so they do an alpine start - very, very early in the morning. So, you'll be considerably colder hiking in the dark of early morning vs. mid-morning.

I tend to hike very hot, so I had 3 layers - a midweight base layer, a heavy fleece jacket, and my heavy gore-tex parka. On the legs, I had midweight base layer, expedition weight fleece layer, and then waterproof/breathable pants. Add hats, gloves, scarf.

I had to unzip at a few points to manage my heat, but was otherwise comfortable. When I stopped moving, however, I got cold.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 05:35 PM

I did Kili in '96 with Zara. We bargained for the cheapest we could get, and asking around, apparently did. The American MBA grads paid 3 times more. That should have been a warning about our investment bankers. The food was less then stellar, but it wasn't about a culinary experience. We did the 6 day climb which includes one day to acclimate, and it was a walk in the park. We took our time and really enjoyed it. Weather had a lot to do with some people not summitting in the days before and after, and others were mostly trying to do it in 5 days.

Btw, having not planned to climb kili while in Africa, the group we assembled had to make use of whatever winterwear people left behind after their climbs. It was more then adequate. I just felt a little self conscious in red, white, green, yellow, and blue, with nothing matching. I am glad I had a few extra pairs of socks and layered clothing I could add and takeoff during the day. You really don't need any fancy equipment. We even took 2 plastic 1 liter bottles you can find just about anyplace in Africa for boiled water that the cooks load up for you everyday.

The key,as it turned out for all of us, including the other 3 groups that joined us for the morning of the summit, is pacing yourself. Pole Pole. Be sure to hydrate and the moment you start to breath faster then normal, you know your pace is too fast. That day, everyone summitted.

If people are unhappy while hiking Kili, then mostly they will find things to complain about wherever they go. Whatever happened to making the best of the situation?

I don't think everyone should pass responsibility off on the guides. These people that had problems probably waited too long to communicate or didn't listen to their instructions. And it isn't always about who is in shape. We overnited along the way with a lady who said she basically was a couch potato and chainsmoked. She summitted, and her husband, a South African rugby player got carried off the mountain. In a group behind her was a 76 y.o guy who also summitted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -