Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

What time of year is best for South Africa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:53 AM
susan

I would love to visit South Africa but am not sure which time of year is best. I have been doing quite a lot of research, but there seems to be no agreement about when is the best time to visit. Some say the summer is good because it is dry but lush, and winter is too rainy and cold. Others say summer is too hot and crowded and winter is better time to see the animals since the grass is short. I read that South African spring is wonderful (September and October). But I would prefer taking my vacation in March or April. This would be S. African autumn I guess. Is that time of year also good? Thanks for any advice.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Cindy

We were there in May of 2001 and had absolutely wonderful weather. Two weeks with bright sunny skies and temps. in the 70's during the day and 50's at night. Only one morning of drizzle at SabiSabi.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 09:39 AM
susan

Thanks, Cindy. Does anyone know if March or April is a good time to see the sights and view the animals? I understand there is a school holiday around that time.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:27 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hi Susan,<BR><BR>South Africa is a huge country and what is good for one weather wise in the southern provinces is not necessarily good in the northern provinces.<BR><BR>With that said let me home in on your March - April timeslot. As a tour guide/operator I advise people to come to SA at this time of the year as it is the very best time to travel in the Cape area and it is also fine to see animals in the northern areas that is if you dont opt to see them in the malaria free Western Cape areas.<BR><BR>My reasons for saying this is because the March April period is without a doubt the best time to visit Cape Town as well as the Garden Route weatherwise. Furthermore the period is generally quiet as it is not school holidays and the amount of people touring the area is small. As a matter of fact I think that this period is a bit of a hidden secret timeslot as not many people capitalise on the opportunity of enjoying SA at this time of year.<BR><BR>With that said my suggestion to you is to get those airline seats booked now for March - April<BR><BR>Enjoy my country when you visit us.<BR><BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 02:34 PM
xx

How is November for a trip to Cape Town and the Garden Route?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:34 AM
susan

Thanks, Selwyn. Guess I'm headed to South Africa next March!<BR>Susan<BR>