Search

Kenya or Tanzania in July?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya or Tanzania in July?

Our family of 5 (youngest age 11, next 2 are in college, then 2 middle aged parents) have round trip tickets to Nairobi for the last two weeks of July. We have been on safari in Kenya before but it was a decade ago.

Will we have a better chance of seeing the migration in Kenya or Tanzania? Which country is likely to be cheaper? I know we could theoretically go to both but we don't want huge driving times, and constant flying around for 5 of us will kill our budget.

Also, are there any "deals" in these countries? Travel everywhere seems to be discounted and the dollar is relatively strong, but I don't see any "deals" in East Africa. We can't afford these $500/night per person camps (that's well over $2000 night for the family) but still would like to go to 3 safari places and the beach.

All ideas welcome!
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM

From what I've seen, Tanzania is generally more expensive than Kenya. And for discounts, seems that it's the more expensive/lux properties that are offering "special" pricing. These are either for extended stays, i.e., stay 5/nts, pay for 4/nts; or a simple % discount off their posted prices; some are offering 1/child under 16/yrs free with paying adults.

With your youngest being 11, whichever country, this child will be entitled to a discount sharing with paying guests.

But, whether you can get a family of 6/adults and 1/child for $2K/nt even if a drive-only safari, might be difficult. And, if wanting to visit the coast, either country, will entail 1) for Kenya, return overnight train or 2) Kenya or Tanzania, a flight to and then return to mainland for homebound flight.

Beach days though do tend to be less expensive than those on safari. Still July is high-season, so too are prices.

By end-July the migration should be reaching Kenya's Masai Mara.

In Tanzania, you might consider camping vs lodges or tented camps, which as a group might work with your budget.

Where did you visit last trip? When? Where did you stay? Would you like to return to any of these?

Best to contact a few tour operators or in-country outfitters and get some itinerary quotes for ann idea of what to expect.

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Sandi,

We have 4 adults and one child. The child could room with the parents.

We stayed at wonderful properties before - Lewa Downs and Little Governors, for example - but we are willing to downscale for this trip. We wil see the same animals after all.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM

Sorry, it's late in the day and besides not being able to read, I can't seem to add either!

Again, contact some operators and/or outfitters and see what they have to offer.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 09:23 AM

You might also look at itinaries by moderately priced tour companies. One that offers family trips is www.imaginative-traveller.com. Not that you necessarily have to do the tour through them, but the itineries, activities, properties used and activities can give you a good idea of what is possible to arrange yourself. Under each trips "dossier" in IT they give lots of details. In Kenya you might consider an itinerary that goes from Nairobi through Amboseli and Tsavo and onto Mombasa or Malindi driving for beach which avoids some of the expensive flights. To/from Mombasa/Nairobi I understand you can take the train too. Another poster on fodors raved about her trip with Good Earth Tours www.goodearthtours.com which was a moderately priced arrangement. (I don't remember if it was Kenya or Tanzania.)