Search

Kenya Itinerary-August 2008

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya Itinerary-August 2008

We (family of four) are in the planning stages of a kenya Safari for August 2008. Here is my preliminary itinerary. I would appreciate any feedback you may have on the itinerary, driving logistics, lodging etc. Thanks.

Day 1: Nairobi- Mt Kenya
Serena Mountain Lodge

Day 2: Mountain Lodge-Samburu
Serena Lodge

Day 3: Samburu
Serena Lodge

Day 4: Samburu-Sweetwaters
Sweetwaters tented camp

Day 5: Sweetwaters-Lake Nakuru
Sarova Lion Hill Lodge

Day 6: Lake Nakuru-Naivasha, Crescent Island
Naivasha Sopa

Day 7: Lake Naivasha-Maasai Mara
Mara Serena

Day 8 & 9: Maasai Mara
Mara Serena

Day 10: Back to Nairobi
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:22 PM

It's okay and pretty well thought out, but in practice you will find it a bit of an endurance test. While it's a shame to miss any of the places, since they all offer something different and interesting, I would recommend you cut at least one of the one-night stays. With the roads in Kenya it's really not fun to travel two days in a row, never mind four. Personally I'd drop Naivasha or Nakuru (solely for logisitcal reasons) and if you absolutely won't, I'd spend those two nights at the same place and do a day trip to Naivasha on the second day, rather than packing and unpacking one more time. You could also find somewhere between the two places to visit both.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kimburu. Good suggestion and I will work on it. May be we will cut Nakuru (I will miss the flamingoes)and add another day to the Mara.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:00 AM

The flamingoes are nice, but could always be done with a day trip. One night stays are OK if you are not doing a lot of driving between. The roads in Kenya are terrible (to be nice).
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:37 AM
sandi

While you have a few 1/night stays (these are quite usual), the drive between Sweetwater's to Nakuru (2-1/2+ hrs); from Nakuru/Naivasha (1/hr) aren't all that bad, timewise... the quality of the roads is something else. Besides, by overnighting at Naivasha, this puts you 1/hr closer to the Mara which is a long drive (5-6/hrs from Nakuru).

If you don't plan on a morning game drive (Day 6) at Nakuru, you can just as easily, after concluding afternoon game drive at Nakuru (Day 5), drive to Naivasha for o/n and Day 6 spend here for Crescent Is. However, I'm not keen on being on those roads in the dark.

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:43 AM

If you cut Nakuru, you'll miss the flamingos and possibly rhino. I think Nakuru will give you the best chance of seeing rhino on your itinerary. There's a good population of rhino on Sweetwaters as well, but if seeing rhino is important to you, I'd hedge my bets by including Nakuru along with Sweetwaters.

It's possible to spend 2 nights at either Nakuru or Naivasha and still visit the other (Naivasha is about 1 hour south). Depends on how you feel about 1 night stays.

I personally would like to have a morning game drive in Nakuru. You tend to see fewer vehicles here in the morning as Nakuru is often used as a 1 nighter on the way to the Mara with most visitors leaving very early for the long drive to the Mara.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, for very helpful information / suggestions.