Egypt and Greece in July/August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All!<BR><BR>My parents are planning a trip to Greece and Egypt in July/August this year. They will have only about a week to 10 days in each place. I need recommendations on sites that are an absolute must to explore given the time limit. If anyone has been to these places through guided tours, the names would be helpful as well.<BR><BR>Thanks guys
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:53 AM

You may want to reconsider Egypt in July/August - it will be very hot, especially Luxor which averages highs of 40C. Cairo average max is 35 in July, min is 21. Alexandria has more pleasant weather at that time (29 max).<BR>Must see sights in Cairo are obviously places like the Pyramids - Giza and Sakkara, Egyptian Museum (but a bit tatty I am afraid and I think no air con), Citadel, Christian area, Khan el Khalili markets. But frankly the thought of any of these places in the middle Of July is extremely unappealing. Cairo is a dusty, pretty gritty city at best of times (albeit one with a huge amount of atmosphere), but I cannot imagine many more uncomfortable places at that time of the year. If they insist, you can get personal guides from places like American Express - I was quoted $40 per person. Or go around a few shops in the hotels and you are bound to find one young guy that has studied tourism at relevant university faculty and would be happy to act as a guide (came across 2 in 3 days - e.g one guy serving in one of the Nile Hilton shops) for about $30-$40 in total. I would not be concerned about safety as long as you give details to your hotel of who you are going with.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:55 AM

We did a 10 day Egypt tour through Globus 2 years ago. Arrangements were close to perfect - Egypt can be intimidating to try to navigate on ones own, especially if you have limited time. The trade-off is that on a tour you see what they think you should see for as long as they think you should see it. I have seen tours that do an Eastern Mediterranean tour and do Greece and Egypt - but time in Egypt is limited, since most to see is not near Mediterranean. <BR><BR>We went in April and it was the hottest place in the world - I can not imagine going in the summer. Even with air conditioned bus waiting for us at all stops, air conditioned Nile river boat and very nice air conditioned hotels - and even going to most sites at very early AM (as early as 6 AM), it was still oppressive. Heat strategies - water, light clothing, hat, etc. - were helpful, but even my husband and son who are in excellent physical/athletic condition were suffering. My daughter and I, more sedentary types, were ready to quit on a few days.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Travelnick and Gail. Looks like my parents may have to reconsider Egypt. Thanks for the helpful advice.<BR>
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:55 AM

I hope they reconsider the timing of their visit - not the trip - Egypt is an incredible trip and to add Greece would be twice as wonderful.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:40 AM

I agree with Gail - try to go later in the year. We went to both Greece and Egypt two years ago. They are so close to each other, it makes sense to see them both during the same trip.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 12:01 PM

I hope you're reading the European board, somebody came back from Greece, and his post basically said: postpone your trip till after 2004 Olympics as most of the tourist places are closed for renovation. It was posted a day or 2 ago.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a million. I didn't even think about the 2004 Olympics until I read your message