Egypt trip feedback - Jewel of The Nile

Aug 28th, 2018, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Egypt trip feedback - Jewel of The Nile

https://www.onthegotours.com/Egypt/J...ays/trip-notes

Having recently travelled to Egypt with "On the Go Tours" I wanted to share some brief feedback, the link above is the actual trip I took.

I travelled with a girlfriend, we are both well travelled and have lived in hot climates. Egypt in July - yes it is very hot, some days 48 degrees celsius, was it unbearable? no, at least not for me, I live in a hot humid climate. Whilst it was very hot, it is such a dry heat that for me is not as bad as a lower temperature and high humidity. When walking out in the sun as you sometimes must do I covered my head and shoulders loosely with a wet scarf, this worked really well.

What was the best part about travelling at this time of year? Less tourists! For those of you who have been to Abu Simbel, imagine being inside the temple totally alone, even the guard had gone for a toilet break. The rest of my group had moved on as had two other small groups and I was left completely alone to enjoy the silence, it was incredible and worth every moment of walking in the heat. At the great pyramid we were able to take photographs without other people in the background.

Yes there were still plenty of tourists about but much less than in cooler months. The tour took us to the pyramids of Giza, The Cairo Museum, Valley of the Kings, Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple, Temple of Queen Hatshepsut, Philae Temple, Kom Ombo and other sites - for photography it was fantastic, easy to get photos of the monuments without people and reasonably peaceful to move about. We did not find the touts or hawkers to be too bothersome, walking straight past or saying 'La Shukran' firmly usually was all that was needed. A few persistent ones but no worse than anywhere else I have travelled.

I know a lot of ladies worry about toilet facilities, just be sure to have plenty of small notes, 5 Egyptian pounds to use toilets and whilst they usually give you paper we always carried our own. None of the toilets were as bad as some I have encountered in other parts of Africa, most were relatively clean.

On the Go Tours were fantastic! Their Cairo representative Ramy is a true gentleman and went out of his way to ensure we were well looked after for our arrival and departure. He met me prior to customs and immigration in Cairo and on departure when there were literally thousands of people at the airport he was able to help with a fast route through immigration. Sure, I could have done it alone but having him with me made things run smoothly and easily and took a lot less time. At the hotels in Cairo he handled the check ins and check outs, another nice touch. I usually travel independently so this experience with a tour was new to me.

Our Egyptologist and guide Yasser was incredibly knowledgeable and looked out for our small group of 10 at all times. We never felt unsafe for a second during the whole 10 days.

The cruise was on the MS Farah and was very comfortable. The food onboard was 80's style buffet so nothing to write home about but no-one was going hungry and we were not in Egypt for the food. Having said that we did have great meal at a local restaurant in Aswan and at our departure hotel in Cairo.

I would like to recommend this tour but most of all if you are thinking of travelling to Egypt, think no longer, go! The people were great, the monuments and temples are indescribably incredible, and we always felt safe & secure.

Happy travels.
Aug 28th, 2018, 05:49 PM

" I would like to recommend this tour but most of all if you are thinking of travelling to Egypt, think no longer, go! The people were great, the monuments and temples are indescribably incredible, and we always felt safe & secure. "

My EXACT sentiments!! We traveled with Memphis Tours earlier this tour and our trip mirrored yours. I am sooo glad we took this trip.
Aug 31st, 2018, 06:03 PM

I have to echo the last two posts in that if you always wanted to visit Egypt, GO NOW! The dollar is very strong, crowds are low, and hell, it's EGYPT!

On the Go sounds great. We went with Memphis with a similar itinerary. So you have a choiceof tour management, and I can't emphasize the advantages to a good tour manager enough.

We had a ball and so will you!