Search

walking safari in Zambia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
walking safari in Zambia

Has anyone been on a walking safari with the Bush Company in the South Luangwe Valley?
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 05:27 PM

My husband and I stayed at three of their camps last September. Each was different and had its virtues, but the really outstanding one is Kuyenda, with Phil Berry and his partner, Babette Alfieri. Phil grew up in Zambia and is the Dean of safari scouts. He and Babette have been at Kuyenda at least ten years and you can see the advantage of having dedicated people who work year after year to improve the facility. At the other two camps, the head staff were temporaries out from England for the season. I give this couple and Kuyenda my highest recommendation. ZZ
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:21 AM

I have just returned from 11 nts at the Bush Camp Co(and Islands of Siankaba), staying at all 4 of their camps. All camps have a different feel to them and are special in their own way. The Guides are all very experienced(Zam and Zim) and it is only the camp managers that are English, so their input has no bearing on game viewing etc. Avoid Mfufe Lodge as it is too big, the 6 or 8 guests at each Bush Camp is an ideal size and I recommend this Company as an excellent way to spend a week in the bush. If you want anymore info, just ask.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the information. I am debating between spending 12 to 14 days at various camps and lodges in Botswana, or shortening my time there and going to one of the Bush Company's Zambia camps for 3 days to focus on some guided walking. My idea is to stay put rather than travel from camp to camp. Is there one camp that has a range of such walks available?
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:47 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with Antipest about Mfufe Lodge. Although it is comfortable and the staff offers nice additions (afternoon tea, mid-morning cookouts [but no nearby toilets]), there are too many Landrovers full of guests covering the same territory, especially considering that the cost is almost identical to that of staying in the exclusive individual camps. I would go to Kuyenda for three nights. When I was there last September, a man flew in from London, intending to spend a week, as he often does. That's how highly he rates the camp. One aspect that you should re-think, however, is the feasiblity of going from Botswana to South Luangwa just for three nights. It is a long way and expensive. We flew from Livingstone to Lusaka to Mfufe and it took two-thirds of the day. We reached one of the Bush camps after dark. I wouldn't do it for just three nights. ZZ
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Hello Antipest..
Are you going to post a trip report.???
PLEASEEEEEE.
I am considering Zambia for my next African Adventure.

Zambezi,
What was the weather like during your visit in Sept 2004 ??

Thanks,
Brenda
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 12:57 PM

The weather was perfect in September. It did get hot during the day and we had an unbelievably dusty trip mid-day from one camp far out to the Mfufe Lodge,but the mornings and evenings were mild. ZZ