June Safari with Teens: East or South?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beginning to plan for June 2009 - Would greatly appreciate a recommendation for a 10-day group tour for an adventurous, well-traveled family with two boys, 15 and 18. Looking for a maximum wildlife and cultural encounters, plus a lot of walking. Must start and end in Amsterdam or London.

Thanks!

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Just did a lot of research. Thinking of a 3-day camping/walking safari, 3 nights in a tented luxury camp, then 3 nights at a beach. Botswana seems most intriguing, but also considering Tanzania/Kenya. I've contacted several packagers, but still open to recommendations.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Unfortunately, no beaches in Botswana - it is land-locked!!!

Walking safari and a prime game area - think no further than the Selinda.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - Researching Selinda before my husband changes his mind. I was thinking we could stop at a beach on our way back to Europe.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Selinda looks fabulous...but it seems everything I read about Botswana focuses on the elephants. We had a very intense elephant encounter in Northern Thailand, and are now up for seeing other animals - Will they be there?
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:47 PM

Perhaps, Kenya or Tanzania might be more suitable for you - possibly, Serengeti during the migration for June next year - you will also be able to go to the beach ..... Zanzibar etc etc.,

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - You might be right. Could we do walking safari/migration and
beach without flying from place to place?
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 12:46 AM

Hi crosscheck,

I was reading through the posts there is one from Traveling_Greg and their itinerary seemed quite nice... and kind of in line with what you want... maybe you want to check this out and chat to him...

This is his itinerary
Day 1 - Nairobi
Upon arrival in Nairobi you are met and transferred to your city hotel. Overnight Hotel.
Day 2 - Mt Kenya
After breakfast drive to Mountain Lodge to arrive in time for lunch. Mt. Kenya is an imposing extinct volcano dominating the landscape of the Kenyan Highlands, East of the Rift Valley. Spend the afternoon gameviewing from the balcony of your hotel. Overnight at Lodge.
(BLD)

Day 3 - Samburu Game Reserve
After breakfast continue north to Samburu Game Reserve arriving in time for lunch. Afternoon game drive in the area. The patches of forest and doum palm dotting the landscape provide an ideal setting for primates, hippo and crocodile. Elephant families visit the river's shallows to immerse
in the cool water. Overnight at Lodge.
(BLD)

Day 4 - Samburu Game Reserve
Full day in Samburu with game drives in the morning and afternoon. Overnight at Lodge.
(BLD)

Day 5 - Lake Nakuru National Park
After breakfast drive to Nakuru for late lunch. It is set in a picturesque landscape of surrounding woodland and grassland next to Nakuru town. The area is home to a wide array of wildlife but best known for the
Flamingos that give the lake it's name as the 'pink lake'. Afternoon game drive. Overnight at Lodge.
(BLD)

Day 6 - Masai Mara Game Reserve
After breakfast depart very early and drive to the Masai Mara. The Masai is the Kenyan section of the Serengeti Plains and wildlife abounds. While on game drives, you will often notice young Maasai tribesmen herding
their cattle amongst the plains game. There is plenty of game in the Mara. Afternoon game drive. Overnight at Lodge.
(BLD)

Day 7 - Masai Mara Game Reserve
Spend the full day in the Masai Mara with morning and afternoon game drives. Overnight at Lodge.
(BLD)

Day 8 - Speke Bay
Drive to Speke Bay via Isabenia with picnic lunch. Overnight at Lodge.
(BLD)

Day 9 - Serengeti National Park
After breakfast drive to Serengeti Serena Lodge arriving in time for lunch. The Serengeti is Tanzania's first national park and remains the flagship of the country's tourism industry. Afternoon game drive. Overnight at Lodge.
(BLD)
Day 10 - Serengeti National Park
Full day in Serengeti with morning and afternoon game drives. Overnight at Lodge.
(BLD)

Day 11 - Ngorongoro Crater
After breakfast drive to Ngorongoro for lunch. Descend down into the crater for a half day crater tour. Called the eighth wonder of the
world and stretching across some 8,300 sq km, the Ngorongoro Conservation Area in northern Tanzania boasts a blend of landscapes, wildlife, people & archaeology that is unsurpassed in Africa. Overnight at Lodge.
(BLD)

Day 12 - Ngorongoro Crater & Lake Manyara
Half day Ngorongoro crater tour with a picnic lunch. Drive to Lake Manyara National Park for an evening game drive. Overnight at
Lodge.
(BLD)

Day 13 - Amboseli National Park
Drive to Arusha and continue to Namanga border with picnic lunch enroute. Continue drive to Amboseli National Park with spectacular views of Mt. Kilimanjaro, Africa's tallest peak. Afternoon game drive. Overnight at Tented Camp.
(BLD)

Day 14 - Nairobi
Morning drive to Nairobi and lunch at the famous Carnivore restaurant before transfer for your outward flight or consider a beach stay in Mombasa or the spice island of Zanzibar.
(BL)

THe strand was Questions on Kenya / Tanzania / Zanzibar

Good luck and I hope you have a good holiday.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 05:23 AM

If traveling in June, absolutely head to East Africa, Tanzania for the wildebeest migration.

You can do a camping safari with walking for a few days/area (around the Ngorongoro crater) and visit the Hadzabe & Datoga tribes at Lake Eyasi (can go hunting with them); then head to the Serengeti for the migration.

Should there be days left over for the beach, there's Zanzibar Island.

Most all can be done as a driving safari, though it's often suggested your fly to/from the farthest area on the route. And if considering the beach, that would require a flight.

As a family of 4, you can certainly look at an independent itinerary with the routing you wish, type of accommodations that suit your budget and activities you'd like.

The itinerary shown above (other poster) is mostly Kenya which during June is at mid-season rates and though a great destination (by mid-July - Oct), Tanzania would be better for what you are seeking and when.

Consider:
Day 1 - Arv JRO - o/n Arusha
Day 2 - Drive to Lake Manyara- o/n
Day 3 - Drive to Lake Eyasi - o/n
Day 4 - Lk.Eyasi morning; drive to Ngorongoro Crater - o/n
Day 5 - Ngo - morning crater tour; afternoon trekking Olmoti crater - o/n
Day 6 - Drive to Serengeti w/stop at Oldupai Gorge to central Serengeti - o/n
Day 7 - Central Serengeti - o/n
Day 8 & 9 - Drive to Western Serengeti - o/n
Day 10 - Fly to Arusha; then homebound.

With own guide/vehicle

From AMS, KLM flies direct into Kilimanjaro (JRO) airport; can return to AMS, out of Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) if concluding on Zanzibar.

BA and Virgin fly from London, but only into Nairobi (NBO) Kenya... right next door, from where a short flight would get you into Tanzania.

It's not too early to start planning as June is busy time to be visiting.

Keep us posted as your plans come together.

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 11:00 AM

Traveling_Greg's itinerary has a crazy amount of driving and I wouldn't recommend it (sorry, Traveling_Greg).
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.

What does everyone think about Sandi's itinerary?

I normally plan everything myself, but as everyone else says on this board, I think I need a professional. Who should I call?

My gut says kids would prefer a group tour with other teens - location unimportant.

Ideally we would like:
- 3 days camping/walking (include cultural encounter)
- 3 days luxury camp (near migration?)
- 3 days beach or lake

How cold will it be in Tanzania in June?