Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Itinerary March 08 Tanzania How's it look?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all on this Forum that help so many of us new travelers to Africa. We've decided to confine our trip to travel entirely in Tanzania for 9 nights, beginning March 1, 08. Below is an itinerary we are considering, any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Day 1 and 2- Arrive Arusha 2 nights at Kigongoni Lodge-walking tour in Arusha NP
Day 3 and 4 - E Unoto - Lake Manyara NP, visit a school, village, biking
Day 5 Arrive Crater Lodge afternoon, overnight Crater Lodge
Day 6 - early a.m. Crater drive, after lunch leave for Serengeti-Olakira
Day 7-10 - 2 nights Olakira Camp, 2 nights Suyan CAmp, Fly back to Arusha from Suyan
There is only 1 one nighter in the 9 nights.
Should we take a night drive in Lake Manyara NP or wait to get to Suyan Camp for that?
Thanks again for the help!

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 09:14 AM

You can compare to these itineraries that have been crafted specifically for March.

http://www.kiliwarriors.com/safari_march.htm

Yours looks great to me.

One thing that seems a bit out of place with the rest of the itinerary is Crater Lodge, which is an extremely luxurious accommodation as I understand it. Not that your other lodgings aren't nice. In fact they'd be pretty much what I'd pick.

Did you intend to have a luxury and expensive splurge mid-trip? If so, you have a well crafted itinerary. But iff you'd prefer to save a chunk of money and stay in a very nice accommodation, I'd choose Serena (not been but supposedly nicer than Sopa) or Sopa (spent 3 nights). I like Sopa because of its own access road.

I'd do the night drive at both places. The more you are out there, the better your odds of seeing something interesting. What else would you be doing those nights? Granted the night drives cost more, but it would be an extra I'd be willing to pay, even though night drives are more of a hit or miss gamble than day drives.

Have a good time!

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

to:atravelynn
Thanks for your imput. Yes, we were having a splurge in the middle of the trip. Gave up 2 nights at Serena for 1 night at the Crater Lodge. It's our only one nighter. Do you know anything about E Unoto? Thanks again.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 06:48 AM

E Unoto-no personal experience. But I like these aspects, cited on their website.

"Over 80% of our employees are Maasai and we donate 10% of our profits to the local Maasai community."

It also is close to Manyara so you are not spending all day driving to and from the park. The website gives these stats.
8.5 miles/14 kilometres (20 minutes) from Manyara. It's probably more like 30 minutes, but that's still close.

Crater Lodge was a conscious decision and I am sure you'll be thrilled with that location. As I mentioned to someone else, if your heart is set on Crater Lodge, then anything else will be a slight disappointment.

I'll add one more set of comments. (My bias is always toward maximizing the quality and quantity of wildlife or cultural experiences and I know I have less sophisticated tastes than the average international traveler.) With that in mind, I would not have traded 2 nights at the Serena, which should be quite lovely, for the Crater. Here's why:

1. If you want a nice, fancy lodge in the middle of your trip, Serena should fit the bill. Ask for a room with a view. Granted Crater makes lists of World's Best hotels or pretty close, but Serena will give you luxury at the crater.

2. Two nights means you can spend the entire day in the crater. Since you may never be here again in your life, I'd rather double my time in this unique area of wildlife concentration than at any lodging.

There are different schools of thought on full or half day trips here.
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34925907
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34953890

3. Two nights means two shots at viewing the crater from above since you'll be there for two late afternoons. Fog rolls in and out constantly and it is not uncommon to have almost zero visibility for half an hour to an hour or more. More time increases your views of the spectacular crater.

4. One more day in Africa, if it fits your time and money budget, allows for one more day of magical happenings. Who knows what those will be from chance encounters with people to wildlife to sunsets, etc.

You'll have a fantastic trip with the variety offered by this itinerary.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 12:41 PM

margategirl: can I ask which company you are working with for this itinerary? We are also planning a trip for sept and looking for advice.

thanks!!