Search

Itinerary 9 days - suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2019, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary 9 days - suggestions needed

Hi,

We fly into Cairo Airport about midnight on 18 April in time for Easter weekend so will probably only have a late start the next morning after breakfast:

18 April - arrive

19 April - Take in Giza pyramids - as I don't like travelling with guides could we rather at least do Giza ourselves and try and fit in Dahshur and Saqqara with a guide and driver - so i) should we rather book into a hotel in Giza or Cairo Centre; ii) We are thinking of then catching an overnight train to Luxor and when we return to Cairo at the end of our holiday doing Coptic Cairo, Khan el Khalili and the Museum and other sites in Cairo itself - it seems one can't book the overnight train except for 2 weeks ahead - is that right? (I am worried with it being the Easter period that tours will book up all the train and there won't be any compartments left, there are 2 of us and we would want a private compartment - any advice please) I have looked on seat61; iii) how do we book a driver ahead to get to Dahshur/ Saqqara, if through our hotel are the fees for drivers/ guides the same or more for one if one stays in a more expensive hotel?

19 April - overnight train? (see above!)

20, 21, 22 April Luxor Day 1 - West Bank; Day 2 - Karnak and Luxor Temple; Day 3 - thought of taking the train to Abydos and Dendera but it appears that the trains are not all that reliable so - a driver or bus (does one always need a guide, we shall take a guidebook?) - any recommendations for a driver/ bus? A guide?

23 April Train to Aswan, or taxi/ bus via Edfu and Kom Ombo, sleeping in Aswan;

24 April Early to Abu Simbel and later around Aswan, maybe overnight train back to Cairo

25 and 26 Cairo - Coptic Cairo, Khan el Khalili, Museum, Mohamed Ali Mosque,

27 April Alexandria

28 April Fly back to UK - flight is early in the morning

Now, I can't start booking my hotels until I am sure I can get an overnight compartment in the train on the 19 April - so does anyone have any suggestions how I can book this early as, I reiterate, with it being Easter, I am worried about the train being booked up?

Also, all suggestions, criticisms etc appreciated,

Thanks for your help,
Patricia

Last edited by patriciatbrogan; Feb 11th, 2019 at 05:49 AM.