Search

Mosquito Precautions

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mosquito Precautions

Hi Everyone, Has anyone used Avon's "Skin So Soft" either instead of or in addition to DEET? I have been getting so much conflicting information that I am still unsure about what we should take with us. We leave for Tanzania on May 30 which is speeding toward us. Many thanks. Judy
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I believe scientific studies have shown that Avon's "Skin So Soft" is not an effective repellant. Deet is. Some people swear Skin So Soft does work and I'm sure it does for them. I just don't think I would test it on a safari when I could be exposed to malaria.

There is a long post about mosquitos and repellant on the US board. You should read it to learn more.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...amp;searchText

Old May 11th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Consumer Reporst did some research on insect repellents a couple of years ago and basically said that the only thing they found that really worked was DEET. We got a lotion insect repellent from magellans.com that seems to work pretty well and doesn't smell too bad.
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:06 AM

I know sandi has said she's a Skin-so-Soft user and that it's worked for her. I know from my experience backpacking and canoing all over the place that mosquitoes prefer different people to different degrees - even those whose clothes are made of the same material and have been washed in the same detergent and who've showered with the same soap/shampoo.

So it's not out of the question that certain people in combination with Skin-so-Soft are not as appealing to mosquitoes as they might be without the Skin-so-Soft.

Though I agree that safari is not the place to discover if that's the case for you. Clearly the proven winner is DEET.
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:09 PM
sandi

Yes, I've found Skin-so-Soft to work for me. That's not to say that I haven't had a repellent containing Deet as a back-up, just in case. Repellent w/Deet, at minimum 30%, is assured to work, as tests indicate. If the Skin-so-Soft hadn't worked for me, I would have had a back-up. And as others have mentioned - safari is not the place to test it out - especially if you have no back-up.

To-date, mossies don't find me tasty... I've gotten away with Skin-so-Soft, but on any given trip the mossies might change their minds and I become their next great meal. If uncertain, go with the Deet.

Old May 11th, 2005, 01:37 PM
pdxatty

CDC just revised their recommendation regarding DEET and is now saying picaridin, (oil of lemon eucalyptus)is as effective as DEET. Both field and lab studies conducted by the World Health Organization have shown that picaridin is comparable to and often superior to DEET for long-lasting, effective protection. Picaridin is currently one of the top selling active ingredients in mosquito repellents in Europe.
I bought Cutter Advanced containing picaridin for a July safari in Kenya. It has been recommended by the WHO as the best protection against malaria.

Old May 11th, 2005, 02:17 PM

I used Burt's Bees herbal insect repellant in Kenya and found that it worked well enough that I didn't need to switch to deet which, like sandi, I'd brought along as a backup. Different remedies work for different people, why not bring both?
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:37 AM

FYI - its a good idea to get the mosquito repellant before you leave, as its not as readily available as it is in North America.

I made that mistake when I went to Kenya in '02, fortunately I'd had a bit of some 25% DEET spray left from a trip to SE Asia the year before and the lodges we stayed at where mosquito were a 'problem' provided small packets of mosquito repellant in the room. But I was never able to topup my supply in any of the stores where we stopped.

And if I had to choose between soft skin/smelling nice vs smelling like bug spray, I'd go the smelling like bug spray route.

BTW - same advise for a good sunscreen, take it with you.