Is the search broken on this site?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems that some search terms bring up recent posts, but other terms bring up posts from many months ago.

Anybody else noticing some weirdness with the search functionality?
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:41 PM

yes andy, it is broken. hopefully they'll fix it soon.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 08:17 PM

this is a problem on other forums as well - the only sure way to search now seems to be to google a term, and in the advanced search function put in fodors for the domain you want to search.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

they really need to just start over with a n out of the box forum solution. What they have here is an archaic piece of junk. Seems I get frustrated with the non-standard technology every time I want to search, contribute or read anything here. Wait, that is 100% of everything related to these forums!

Sorry to always rant on this topic.

Andy
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:27 AM

Andy,
I think I remember one of the editors posting something about a redesign or fix. Perhaps if a few of us should send a reminder.
The search engine here is one of the worst - when totaly frustrated, I remind myself that it's free.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

I agree that the search feature is the worst out there, but then again everything about the forum is the worst. kind of ironic to have the best content about African travel, but driven by the worst technology available.

They should adopt something that is easy to administer.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Andy,
I agree entirely with your comments. Perhaps the editors will read this thread and take a hint. This website is looking mighty tired.
Regards-Chuck
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 09:07 AM

all true, but if they redesign the site, there will be a chorus from the folks who were just fine with the status quo, or who don't want to or can't learn any new bells and whistles. Any changes (an edit function, better search, and subscribing to a thread are my top three) should be phased in gradually, I think.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Yes I agree. In the meantime I do what Momliz does...the "advanced" search on Google and it works every time.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

There are about 2 different opensource forum software packages that run 99% of all web site forums on the internet today. So there is an established standard on how things run. Pretty simple usability. I think the best areas for improvement are:

Searches
email notifications for replies
look and feel
private messages
better integration with photo services, so we can view images directly in the thread. No having to use a link to images. And no Kodak Easyshare, which is very difficult to use.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Hi Andybiggs and all---

We've had search problems in the past as you know but it seems that sometime in August we really noticed a jump in search "hiccups". We have a new and improved search estimated for October. We are also looking at larger more long term solutions as well.

Thanks for being so patient. In the meantime, the Google advanced search is a good one. For instance, if I was searching for recent (2007) information on Zimbabwe I would go to www.google.com and enter the following exactly in the search box: zimbabwe 2007 site:fodors.com/forums/

This tells Google to only look at the Fodor's Forums.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Fodor's Editor-Katie H:
Thanks for your attention but cwould you give another example, I'm still not getting anywhere?
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Go to www.google.com

Next to the empty space bar click on
"Advanced Search"

Next- type in the words to be included in search (in any of the 4 lines depending how you want to search)

Next go down to Domain-choose "Only" in the pull down box and type fodors.com/forums in the empty box on the same line.

Hit enter to search. It will pull up all the matches.

Hope this helps for now.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Yes Carla it helps but boy is it cumbersome. By the time I get that far I forget what I'm searching for.
Regards-Chuck
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Google search doesn't get everything, btw. I've used used it in the past as described here for this site, with not that great of results. They don't crawl every single page out there (+ every day), though they try.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

Additionally, the Google approach does not order the results in a timeline, say most recent to oldest posts.

Time to start over with something more standard. I very much appreciate the reply here about what is going on behind the scenes.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Katie, can you add 'sticky's' to the wish list? There are just some things that needs to be up at the top all of the time for easy reference.

I'm thinking that if the trip report indexes could stay up at the top, anyone new would automatically go there first to search out trip reports to where they want to go, or who they are thinking of going with.

I'm sure there are other useful posts that could be created for sticky's with the wealth of knowledge on this forum - ie cameras & equipment for safari's (hint for Andy & other camera experts we have come to know & love!); a standard packing list that people can add to; a post on visa proceedures & choices; and I think even a sticky post on tour operators, written by people who have been there/done that - good and bad experiences - would be good.

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 06:26 AM

I agree with LyndaS that Sticky's are needed and would make them number one on my list. They would make a huge improvement in the board. While some don't agree, I would like editing of posts as well.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:40 AM

I just put Pete's Pond in the search box and nothing comes up.

Aargh! This search engine sucks!!!!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

pretty much the whole thing is antiquated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -