Liquids Restrictions - South Africa to Zimbabwe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2015, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am going to Southern Africa and am flying BOS>LHR>JNB>VFA. The question is what liquids restrictions there are on the Jo'burg to Victoria Falls flight. If we were to buy sunscreen in London, would we need to fit those into the 1 liter bag, or do we not need to bother? I vaguely recall from our last trip to South Africa, that there are no restrictions within South Africa, but curious about SA to Zimbabwe.

Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 08:57 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Put it in ziplock bags of any size into your checked luggage and you won't have to think about it.
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

We are weight/size restricted due to some light aircraft flights on the trip, so we are going carry-on only. Usually, we would just toss them in the checked luggage. Good thought though.
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 06:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Simply decant the larger sunscreen into several small bottles and put them in the ziplok. I do that all the time for liquids that don't come in travel sized bottles.
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 07:57 PM

Yes there are liquid restrictions. I've had over 100ml confiscated at JNB when flying to WDH.
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 11:06 PM

There is a pharmacy in JNB past security. You should be able to get sunscreen (and bug spray) there. There is a map online somewhere of JNB - of course I can't find it. But you still have to deal with returning to JNB or other airport after VF. Why don't you just buy a few small bottles?

I'm a carry on only girl, too, but always make room for my three ounces of sunscreen and bug spray (or more if traveling as a couple) in my quart Baggie.
Old Nov 14th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

<I>There is a pharmacy in JNB past security. You should be able to get sunscreen (and bug spray) there.</I>

Good thought. We should have enough time to hit up the shops in JNB. We have some packed, but wanted some safety stock.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 05:23 PM

I asked this question a few months ago. We flew in September; the same restrictions as in U.S. Hold true for flights from SA to other counties. The "no restrictions" are strictly inter SA flights.
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 08:01 AM

The 3-1-1 rule (copied verbatim from US TSA) is enforced sporadically by SAA on all domestic and regional flights.

http://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-s...g/liquids-rule

Be sure to bring your own transparent plastic bags. Some airports have them for sale – ie R10.00 will get you two bags, but it’s a hassle. Point of sale for the baggies is usually well behind the security queue, so you have to leave your stuff sitting while you go back and purchase them.

Phil Gain