JNB airport

Jul 6th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

JNB airport

Hi all,

I will soon (3 days) be traveling to SA and many sites are reporting a real problem with theft of luggage and articles in luggage at the Johannesburg airport. Any suggestions on ways to prevent this from happening?

Erin's mom
Jul 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Do not put anything of value in your checked luggage. Especially items that can be identified by x-ray such as cameras, binoculars, other such electronic toys. Carry on these things. Good luck.
regards - tom
Jul 6th, 2008, 10:33 AM

I've travelled through Jo'burg a few times last year with no problems.

I second what Tom says. Just don't put any valuables in your checked in luggage. Carry as much as you can as hand luggage including a spare set of clothes in case luggage is delayed.
Jul 6th, 2008, 11:16 AM

lesanne
i travelled to southern africa in march and april - all via joburg. nothing happend.
just as the others advised - limit your luggage as much as possible and valueables only in carry on.

div
Jul 6th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Hi, the best way to avoid theft from baggage is to use hard shell cases. The baggage handlers have perfected the art of getting into zip up bags and cases by removing one or two teeth out of the zips near to the closed end of the zip. They then simply open up the case and then zip it up again. They also know where the bags are going so they usually tend to steal items from baggage flying out of South Africa. The reason for this is obvious, they know that you will have great difficutly in reporting and following the matter up from abroad.

Do not let this spoil your holiday, South Africa is a wonderful place and you can certainly have items stolen from many other destinations around the world, the big difference being that this beautiful country has much more to offer than most

Maurice
Jul 7th, 2008, 06:49 AM

You can pay to have your luggage wrapped in cellophane in Joberg. I don't know how effective it is in warding off thieves, but lots of people do it.
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Jed

We passed through JNB 3 times last year without any theft. However, JNB is the worst run, most confusing airport that we have experienced. Just our experience.
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:55 AM

I think the shrink wrap is a good idea. I used it and then stored my duffel bag for a week or so at the baggage storage area in the basement with no problem. ( I also shrink-wrapped it before leaving the US en route to SA..would also recommend if you are nervous, as I was. )