Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to fly into and stay one night in Nairobi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We have plans with British Airways to travel from the US into Niarobie Jomo Kenyatta airport in June, on our way to Tanzania for a Safari (family of 6). We get in late in Nairobi, so we are staying at the Hotel Serena overnight in Nairobi, and the next day they transfer us to the Nairobi Wilson Airport for a flight to Kilimanjaro at 1.
We have heard that it's "not safe" to go into Nairobi.. let alone into the city to say overnight. Someone said that the hotel Panari is the only recommended hotel that is safe, but this was from something my son read online somewhere, not sure where.
I am not sure where to start, so thought I'd put this question out here, and go from there. British Airways only flies to Nairobi.. not sure if they would give money back at this point, nor am I sure about Hotel Serena's refunds, and all the little flights inbetween!
Thank you very much.. this is the trip of a lifetime for our family. I hope it works out.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:12 AM

I passed through Nairobi on Feb 6th and stayed overnight on Feb 9th and things were very "normal". I posted about the Feb 6th experience and will be adding an installment for the Feb 9th overnight to my trip report http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35112503

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:12 AM

We stayed at the Nairobi Serena two nights in January (arrival night for our safari, night before departure two weeks later), during the height of the 'problems', and of course it is completely safe. Other guests while we were there included Kofi Annan and current UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon, who were negotiating a peace agreement between the rival Kenyan factions.

If highest level UN diplomats are staying there then you are pretty safe. The CNN crews were also guests. Like you, we arrived late in the evening but the drive to the hotel is uneventful.

Bill
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Jed

It is safe as long as you are with a competant guide or taxi driver.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:35 AM

dont be worried. It's fine! The airport has specific cabs they hire, so you can trust them to get you to your hotel safely. Plus the problems have really gone down, i was there in Feb and was just fine.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:23 PM

i did the same thing recently (late flight and o/n in nairobi) and had no problems whasoever
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:37 PM

At no time were visitors targetted or harmed. The international and domestic airports were both open and operating. Roads were open to/from. Sadly, many stayed away... their loss. From the replies above and the many recent trip reports, all who visited since end Dec thru current, had outstanding and safe experiences.

I hope to be in Kenya, including Nairobi and Tanzania at end-May/early June and haven't given any thought to not traveling.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

This is all refreshing to hear. Thank you. I feel much better about things now. I'll continue to check in, and read up. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Yes Yes Yes Yes. It is fine as it was last year. Ask Serena to book your transfer. I guarantee you that when you get back home, you will post positive experiences on Nairobi. Have fun, and you will be safe
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Have thoughts about this topic changed in light of the recent U.S. airstrike in Somalia (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...VGQD90DL67O1)?

My wife and I are planning a Tanzanian safari in Feb '09, and we would be stopping in Nairobi along the way. Is it wise for us as Americans to travel this close to Somalia?
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:10 AM

longhornmike -

"so close to Somalia!"

Not really. Probably 1,000+/-/miles. Like Wash,DC to Miami.

There's Kenya in between and visitors are traveling here. And, plenty of visitors heading to Tanzania.

Always has to be your decision.
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:55 AM

Don't worry. Nairobi and Somali are miles apart. You will surely enjoy your stay in Nasirobi
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM
pippa13

would consider nairobi safe - even for american ;-)
a fodorite was there in feb and it was perfectly fine! no worries!

btw: i realise that americans nowadays like to hide their "passports" compared to let's say the 90ies.
i heart them say "in the earlier days we were proud of our passports but now we try to hide it".