Search

Makanyani <sp?> Lodge?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Makanyani <sp?> Lodge?

First of all, Happy New Year to the Africa fodorities!

I am helping some friends plan a 10 day trip to Africa and this Makanyani Lodge in South Africa was suggested to them. Not sure about the spelling, has anyone stayed there? I got the impression from them it was a 5 hour drive from Jo'burg but that also may not be accurate.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 11:20 AM

Happy New Year to you too, Clematis, and to everyone else.

First of all, I don't know the answer to your question.

Secondly, I did a Google search for various place names in South Africa and Swaziland that were similar to &quot;Makanyani.&quot; For example, I know there is a town called Mankayane in my native Swaziland. However, my Google search didn't reveal a lodge there.

The closest thing I was able to find, after searching for various combinations, was Makatana Bay Lodge, in the Lake St. Lucia area of the northern KwaZulu Natal coastal belt.

http://www.makakatana.co.za/

If this is indeed the place, I know nothing of the lodge itself, but Lake St. Lucia is a very interesting ecological zone.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 02:16 PM
sandi

Clematis -

They may also be referring to the Royal Malalane (sp), a luxury camp on the private reserves at Kruger. You might want to check

www.e-gnu.com

to see specifics are the camp, which is supposed to be on par with Londolozi, and even Singita, those maybe a few dollars less expensive.

And yes, the drive from JNB to Kruger would be about 5-hrs., though I would suggest they fly on private camp charter or into Hoedspruit with a land transfer to the camp.

I understand from friends who were living in Rosebank (north of JNB), and who drive to Singita at Kruger the road to the park itself is well paved, and if going into Kruger Park itself, the roads are fine, but if going into the Private Reserve areas, the roads are challenging to drivers and vehicle.

Do a &quot;search&quot; on this board for the Royal Malalane as I recall there were some posts a few months back.

Old Jan 1st, 2004, 11:23 PM

I'm sure that they are refering to Makanyane in Madikwe. It fits the description of being 5 hours from Johannesburg.

Its five star and if I remember correctly has the same architecture who designed Singita. The website is

www.makanyane.com

Its looks rather nice !
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 04:46 AM
sandi

katycee -

I think you've got the correct one. And it certainly does look like they had the same designer as did Singita.

Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

katycee, thank you! That is it. I've never heard of it, but it looks wonderful. They have a choice of either trying to do both Botswana and South Africa (because they want to see Cape Town and they're flying into JNB) or just South Africa. I think for only 10 days they are better off staying in South Africa.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
If they want to include Botswana, I was at the Mashatu Game Reserve in Aug03. Stayed in the tented camp and had an outstanding time. The game viewing, the accommodations, the staff, the service - everything was wonderful.

It is just across the border from SA and the drive from Jo'burg wasn't bad. They also have flights from Jo'burg to Mashatu.

http://www.mashatu.com/
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Yes this lodge is a new one in Madikwe, the same park that I have been to 3 times but stayed at Jaci's. You will see everything you see in Botswana except leopard are only with a great amount of luck. but in exchange you get the marvelous wild dogs. I love Jaci's. If the new one, and by the way Makanyani means wild dog in Sotho, is more money you might check out Jaci's!

Kim
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sundowner and Kim, will pass along this info to them. I think they will only have time for one camp.