Where to stay in Kruger National Park

Old Feb 20th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Kruger National Park

Which would be the best place to stay?
Should not be very expensive
How much does a package for 2-3 days cost?
Which agent in Jo-Burg would give me the best rates?
PLease answer soon as i am going next weekend..
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 03:55 AM

Dear Harmeetsahney,

If you are on a budget you can stay in Kruger Park itself at one of the Camps. I would suggest a southern camp (like Skukuza - if you like people and facilities or Lower Sabie) My other favourite is Satara.
You can hire a car and drive there, fly to Kruger Mpumalanga Natational Airport and book a transfer. Or you can book a easy schedule tour with Welcome Tours. (you can e-mail them on [email protected]) (remember to book a camp with a swimming pool as it is very hot at the moment in that area) They wil transfer you with other people and your stay is on your own at one of the Camps.

If you want to stay in 'n private game lodge, but not pay for the more luxurious ones, I have suggestions.
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
Nkorho Bush Lodge,Chitwa Chitwa Safari Lodge, Djuma Bush Lodge, Simbambili Game Lodge, Notten's Bush Lodge or Savanna Private Game Reserve.
I do hope you get availability and have a great trip.
www.lbcl.co.uk
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 06:46 AM

Just to add my tuppence worth while it's all still fresh in my mind... If you do choose to stay in one of the camps, then you'll find it very reasonable. It's best to book in advance but they may let you change your reservations once you're in the park (we paid around 2000 rands for 5 nights accommodation, for 2 people, with aircon, fridge and private kitchen).

We really loved Olifants (ask for a river-view) for the comfortable, pleasant accommodation and stunning views. Watching hippos in the river below, while frying up eggs and bacon for breakfast in the semi-open kitchen, is not something one gets to do every day!!!

Although we didn't stay there (just passed through for refreshments) we found Satara camp to be a little flat and dull, but perhaps we didn't see the right bits! The game viewing in the area was excellent, though. We found Skukuza (again, we only passed through) to be the most overwhelming, touristy, and busy. Too far removed from the "bush" experience that we were looking for.

When we were in SA, a local resident told us that Lower Sabie camp has recently added "luxury safari tents" to its range of accommodation, which are apparently very well situated overlooking a hippo pool, and are supposedly *very* posh indeed. Unfortunately there were no vacancies so I can't substantiate the claim...
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:24 AM
Arlene

Any other suggestions for where to stay in Kruger National Park? We will be there in June. We will be driving from Johannesburg.

Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 10:46 AM

Dear Harmeetsahney
I was in south africa & zimbabwe recently. When I was there all arrangements were done for me by
www.wildtravel.co.za Ask for Christo Hauptfleisch [email protected]
He was recommended to me by the locals themselves in south africa of whom one was herself a travel agent and recommends Christo highly. Tell him Patricia Shatz was very pleased by what he did for me. Let me know Regards, Patricia