Search

Interesting Meal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting Meal

Hello Everyone,

From reading all the posts it seems that there is a rather adventurous group of individuals on this forum. As a result, I have a fun question to ask all of you. What is the most interesting/bizarre meal you have had while on any of your journeys?

Juliet
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:33 PM

Some kind of spicy rice eaten with the hands out of one big pot while sitting in the floor of a boat with the family that owned the boat in Borneo.

In Africa--sadza with pumpkin leaf relish, also eaten with hands on the floor at Kawaza village in Zambia.

In Africa--a close second is those wobbly sausages in the boxed lunches.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:39 PM

Hi Juliet,

I guess our most interesting meal was dim sum in Hong Kong this past Christmas with the family of a Chinese friend. It wasn't really bizarre, because we'd had dim sum before, but the experience of eating with a large Chinese family made it unique. The most unusual thing we ate was jellyfish. It didn't really have much flavor, but had sort of a crunchy texture.

Probably my most transformative meal was dinner at Le Reminet in Paris about 6 years ago, during which I had a salad with foie gras in it. The idea of it had never appealed to me, but when I tasted it in this salad, it was wonderful. Of course, it's never been as good since, so I've quit ordering it.

My two favorite meals ever, just for overall great food and service, were at Gramercy Tavern in New York about 3 years ago and Ralph's on the Park in New Orleans, just a few months before Katrina hit. Although it was all good, I would have to look at my notes for that trip to remember what I ate at Ralphs--except for the salad. It really sticks in my mind as being incredibly flavorful and the best salad I've ever eaten.

Kim
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM

First one that comes to mind is the "camel's hump" we had in an obscure Beijing restaurant. Last week in Cairo we saw camel carcasses hanging in a butcher's shop and were told that the hooves are very tasty - apparently the meat is very sweet but only men eat it. Our guide - a female - confirmed that she had never tasted it.

Second one that comes to me is pirhana fish which we were offered on the Amazon river earlier this year. I declined ! Some did eat them though and declared they were good - looked like too many little bones and sharp spines for my taste!
Alison
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:51 AM

I ate a barbequed bat in Siam Reap, Cambodia.

Also, live shrimp (that wiggled in your mouth) at a Tokyo sushi bar. And fugu (blowfish) in Tokyo. And whale in Osaka.

Puffin in Iceland.

Fermented mare's (horse) milk in Tatarstan (one of the Russian semi-autonomous regions).

Sea turtle in the Bahamas (I was told it was farmed).

Excellent horse steak in Ljublana, Slovenia.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:53 AM

Mopany worms in Botswana.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:54 AM
santharamhari

Michael,

what's the best sushi in NYC?

Hari

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:55 AM
santharamhari

Bots,

I have tried it twice....the guides at the camps raved about it and talked of it as a delicacy and so tried it once each time. Have to say, it is an acquired taste.

Hari

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Hari, I haven't been to Masa ($400+ per person), but its supposed to be great.

My favorite is Sushi of Gari (I live a few blocks away, and it recently received a Michelin star).
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:01 AM
santharamhari

Ok, thanks....

i think i remember watching on tv or something about P Diddy having some event at Mesa?

Hari

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:11 AM

In the spirit of the forum, I should have written that Masa is $400 pppn.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:23 AM

It is a fun question!

In Italy they eat calf tendons in a sort of gelatious cold salad with raw onion. I have never tried it. Fish heads and various other animals' brains, hearts, lungs etc are also eaten. ICK!!

In Africa my husband had kudu.

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Cows udder with pasta in Rome.
Mopane Worms, pan fried with garlic butter in Maun.
Jewel beetles open flame grilled with the Bushmen of the Khalahari.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:06 AM

They don't serve it there anymore, but I thought it was interesting that you could get zebra at the Carnivore (in Nairobi) when I was there in '96. When I was there this summer, the most interesting thing on the menu was camel.

I will usually try anything put in front of me, but I couldn't bring myself to try balut when I was in the Philippines. "A balut (or Hột vịt lộn in Vietnamese) is a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell." (from wiki)
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Most of my eating adventures have been in Mexico so they're not too wild -
Fish eyes from Pescado Entero (gotta say I liked the cheeks better)
Cow brain taco from a street vendor - again thought I was getting the cheeks.
Sea Urchin roe with salsa fresca - no chance for cheeks on that one.
Oh yeah and a rattlesnake we killed on the road by our house.

Hoping to try mopani in March in Botswana. Is it mopani worm season then?
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:54 AM

The ones that come quick to mind are
dog and snake plates at a restaurant in Canton, China, guinea pig and rice at Machu Pichu, and cane rat from a road side hut on the way up to Mandalay, Myanamar. I had gone into the 'kitchen' to pick my poison as no one including my driver spoke English. What I thought was chicken turned out to have an extra bone where there shouldn't be one. Then through various mime, mindless chatter and laughing,I figured out what it was from everyone-cane rat.

Which also brings up on the Burma trip, I went into a hamburger joint in Mandalay. Went back into the kitchen and just pitched in making my own burger the way a proper burger should be made. They had most of a good start with the trimmings. When done, sat down at my marvelous work and took a bite of the strangest tasting burger I have ever eaten. Just not possible for me to screw it up that way. Turns out the meat was water buffalo. Not recommended for a hamburger if you are still wondering.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Those who might try, or have tried, camel in Morocco or the Middle East may be interested to know there's a chance it's 'Australian' camel. There are thousands of feral camels in the outback, and they've been catching and exporting them to some Middle Eastern countries for some years. Recently I heard of a camel meat export deal for Morocco. Coals to Newcastle.

John
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Fun thread--I love how adventurous you all are. I am not, plus I am vegetarian, so that elinimates a LOT of the "weird" foods--I think I could be persuaded to try just about any veggie dish, though.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Camel at Carnivore in Kenya

"They told me it was chicken" at a very very dark 'restuarant' in a basement in Varanasi.

Lotus seeds in Cambodia (OK, that wasn't bizarre)
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Muktuk.

Seal blood soup. Tastes like <s>chicken</s> seal blood soup.

&quot;Old fish.&quot; Put fish in hole in ground, wait several months. Tastes like old fish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -