Immunizations Needed?

May 7th, 2001, 05:09 AM
Brooke

Immunizations Needed?

My family and I are travelling to Cairo in June. We have heard conflicting reports of needing to get some immunizations. Are they necessary? If so, where can we find out more? Thanks!

May 7th, 2001, 05:28 AM
Buck

Yes you will need shots and malaria med., if you have a travel clinic, go to that and they have country by country what you need. You can also go to the gov. web site for advice. CDC site will have alot of info for Egypt traveling. Have fun, relax, enjoy your trip, Buck
P.S. Kaiser has an excellent travel clinic and its all covered under the Kaiser HMO, plan. As just the yellow fever shot is $150, and the malira med can be &75, I hope your medical plan has a travel clinic.

May 7th, 2001, 10:39 AM
gail

You are about to get more conflicting info. The US Centers for Disease Control (cdc.gov) DOES NOT recommend any specific immunizations for Egypt beyond what you would normally get to live in the US. Before we went in April, this was confirmed by our own MDs. I do not know where above poster is getting his/her information from, but it is in direct conflict with what we heard and what we did.

May 7th, 2001, 08:30 PM
Don

We were 2 weeks in Egypt in the month of March. We are in Southern Calif. and have a travel clinic we used before our trip to Africa. They showed no immunizations needed for Egypt and only Malira meds needed for some out of the way places that tourists don't usually go anyway. So if you are up on your normal shots I wouldn't worry about it.

May 8th, 2001, 03:44 AM
Dick

Brooke, our family was in Egypt last June. We also check on need for immunization and were advised nothing extra needed. Had no problems other than the "mummy tummy". Not sure how to avoid that. We watched what we ate/drank etc. Using medicated toweletts or something similar might have helped. If I were to go tomorrow I would not do much different. Have a great time.
Dick

May 9th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Patricia

I spent 2 weeks in Egypt (Nile cruise and Cairo only) in November.

Required immunizations: Hepatitis A and Diphtheria/Tetanus. This is what Grand Circle (our tour group) told us to get. No such nonsense as Malaria or Yellow Fever is needed. The two above are what we were required to get and nothing more. It cost us about $25-35 total at the County Health Department.

May 11th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Buck

To Brooke,
If your health plan has a travel clinic you would be wise to go and ask them what is needed for Egypt. Myself, I wouldn't travel in a developing nation without finding out from my health care provider what is needed. If you don't have a travel clinic, most major airports, international hubs, have a travel clinic you can use. All these posters that say nothing needed, you can listen to them if you want, but check and make sure. Best of luck and I am sure you will have a wonderful trip, Buck

May 13th, 2001, 05:57 AM
sherin

immunization to travel to egypt!!!!
i think you never go there ,,,it is like any city in the worled,no need for immuni.even the aids is not known there .it is the most clean envirnment in africa as we speak about dieasese

May 16th, 2001, 03:40 PM
wanderer

even though no shots are required many feel that it is a wise precaution to have the 2 hepatitisA shots as one is easily exposed to this disease anywhere in the world. its so simple and can preventa potentially devestating disease from occuring

May 17th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Patricia

You only need ONE Hepatitis A shot to go to Egypt, as it immunizes you for one year. You can only get the second shot 6 months to one year after the first. With 2 shots you are immunized for 20 years. This is what our local health department told me.

May 17th, 2001, 02:29 PM
Prue

As a matter of interest we are going to spend 6 days in Cairo and Alexandria in September and have been advised by Australian Health Authorities to have
Hep A, Typhoid and Malaria shots/pills, even though it is such a quick trip.
They have said it is not compulsory - but I guess it is better to be save than sorry.

Search this Thread