Search

If you're bored . . . .

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're bored . . . .

If your bored and would like to see some old safari photos, I’ve moved them from my Kodakgallery over to Smugmug. Not that many photos, only 23 from our safari in 2005 and 70 from safari 2006. The 2005 photos are from camps Mala Mala, Khwai River Lodge (Botswana) and Nsefu (Zambia). The 2006 photos are from camps Kruger, Mala Mala, Nsefu and Tena Tena (Zambia) and Little Governors (Kenya). Many of the photos are just to show what the camps are like, some of the others are my best safari photos.

Like said, I dropped the Kodakgallery. Because I don’t like how it presents the photos on a white background. To me this is ok if it is a print, reflected light, but on a monitor/TV, transmitted light, the white background overpowers the colors in the photos. So, the background should be a very dark gray or black. On my Smugmug page there is gallery titled “White Background”. If you go into it you will see some of the exact same photos as in the gallery “SAFARI 2005” but these are on a white background.

Smugmug lets you choose the background color or pretty much any pattern. And Smugmug has a good selection to choose from and easy to use. However, for many nicer effects you need to become a “mini” web site designer. That is the only objection I have with Smugmug (and I think all other photo sites as well), you have to know some “HTML” language to totally control your presentation. But I repeat, Smugmug just as offered has a lot of options that are easy to use.

Anyway, the link is - http://tomgraham.smugmug.com/
Please tell me if you have any problems with “navigation”, misspelled word, or have any questions. Thanks for looking.

regards - tom
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Very nice Tom! Can't wait for my trip to Kruger and MalaMala! The only thing I can't figure out on Smugmug is returning back to the index, you have to click back as many pictures as you viewed.
Thanks!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, you're going to love Kruger and Mala. Our three days in Kruger in 2005 were too little and then it got real overcast skys and rained. Makes for tough picture taking.
Yeah, Smugmug needs to make that clearer on how to get back. In the top left hand corner is the way back out. Like when you are in the pictures, in the top left you see "tomgraham", click there and you are back to page one. Or click one of the others top left to take you back. Maybe I'll see if I can add a note there saying this.
regards - tom
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dennis, did that, added notes to galleries about navigating back.
regards - tom
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 04:01 PM

Wow, I looked at 2005--your first safari those are great shots! Were you already experienced in wildlife photography in 2005?

Thanks, Tom. I've joined pbase recently because of the background color choice. Haven't yet taken on the daunting task of moving safari photos, but perhaps I'll become quite impressed with myself.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 04:13 PM

p.s. A huge wow to the carmine bee eaters from 2006. What a shot!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Leely- I have not done a lot of wildlife photography but have been a "serious amateur" of-and-on for 30 years. I got my first good camera (Minolta SRT101) out of college (1970) in the days of 35mm slide film. The place I worked (Western Electric Hawthorne, Chicago) was quite large and had a camera club. I got active in it and the really good photographers were always willing to critique your photos. (A bad habit I picked up ). You just had to listen and see. In fact every month we had a slide contest where slides were judged and scored (any subject matter). After moving to California (1982) I only did photos while on vacation. But it is digital cameras and the digital darkroom (Photoshop) and especially AFRICA that got me going again with photography.

Interesting that you agree with me about the background color, you're right of course . Not much discussion about such here even though I've brought it up several times before. I know a lot of folks use pbase but I did not look into it. Let me know how it goes for you with pbase. Do you have to learn HTML or whatever to construct what you want?

regards - tom
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:35 PM

Great assortment. Black background looks good. I zipped to the Mala Mala shots since that's my next stop. That was a klipspringer king of the hill?

Checking out Kruger the mother and baby zebra was precious. The baboons drinking rain water made for an odd artistic scene.