Serengeti or Masai Mara over Christmas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip over Christmas and not sure if Serengeti or Masai Mara are better for game viewing at that time of the year. Am hoping to see lots of animals and not just elephants (have seen plenty of those). Any suggestions on places to visit would be appreciated! Probably make it a 8-10 day trip and hope to spend a 2-3 days at Zanzibar if I end up in Tanzania. Thanks!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Serengeti should have the wildebeest that time of year, so I suppose the game viewing will be better there. I'm sure others will have more detailed information.

How could anyone ever see enough elephants?

Good luck with your planning.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. You're right...have not seen "enough" elephants but am sure looking to see some of the Africa landscape / wildlife I have seen on National Geographic etc
Anyone else on recommendations?
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 09:37 AM

You can check this link for migration patterns, but keep in mind that rain patterns change from year to year and month to month, so tracking the migration is FAR from an exact science.

http://www.africadreamsafaris.com/na...migration.html

The website offers good info on the various parks and some accommodations, although it's weighted toward the pricier.

What's your budget roughly and what type of accommodations are you most comfortable with--lodges, tented camps, camping, etc.?

But if you're thinking Christmas this year you'd better get cracking on reservations.

Don't worry, Tanzania's Northern circuit will definitely look like what you've imagined "Africa" to be.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Leely! I know - am running out of time if I want to go this yr end. I hope to have it most of the itinerary finalized by this weekend. I still don't know about lodging..it will probably be between lodges and tented camps. There is so much information on these sessions...I need to spend some dedicated time doing research. Am sure I'll be asking more specific questions shortly.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 11:27 AM

For Christmas this year, you may not have much choice in terms of accomodations. I'd quickly ascertain what's available and take whatever you can get at this point. Good luck!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 11:38 AM

Yes, I agree with Patty--since you want Christmas 2005 (yikes!!!), I'd contact a couple or 3 operators right away and see where they can squeeze you in.

I would imagine that if you're okay with camping, you might have a little more wiggle room.

Also, climbhighsleeplow, who posts on this board, is developing a website that's great if you can access google earth. go-safari.com. It shows maps, locations of camps, etc.

But first things first: see if you can secure some places to sleep!

Best of luck.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi - Thanks for the advice and you were right...hard to find places at that time of the year...so Africa has been postponed indefinitely. Thanks again!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:55 PM

Sorry to hear you were unable to plan this trip. Hope you do get a chance to visit sometime in the future!