How to learn the "sounds of the bush"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there such a CD available that educates a city girl on the various animal sounds of the African bush? Or is this just something that comes along with experience? I'm still a little apprehensive being solo in the dark in a tent hearing strange sounds, maybe knowing what they are would take the edge off??? Any suggestions please...
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:28 PM

Carla,

I have a cassette tape made in South Africa called "Calls of the bushveld" (recordings by Dick Reucassel and Tony Pooley, script and narration by Hugh Rouse). I love it, and copied it to CD. It doesn't contain every sound you'd expect to hear on safari, but certainly most of them. I've had it for a few years. If you can't track it down, I can make another CD for you.

John
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 02:10 AM

Hi Carla

Have a look here:
www.safari-shop.de/soundscapes.d.html
Everything African ! From the Bwana Mitch website. I bought the Cd "African Bush Sopunds". Wildlife sounds recorded in the Luangwa Valley Zambia.
Play this as you tuck into bed one night , this will have you looking under the bed!

Cheers
Marc
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I can't help you find a CD but I can tell you the hyena has the most amazing sound. I was solo in a dark tent and was woken up in the middle of the night by this loud animal sound. It sounded like it was right outside my tent. I got up and looked thru the window screens but didn't see anything. I laid back down and heard it several more times before falling back asleep. I found out the next day it was a hyena. It wasn't the "laugh" that you often hear - it was a "whooop" sound. I googled and found this. http://encarta.msn.com/media_4615175...ted_Hyena.html and it's the right sound but what I heard was longer and very loud. I found quite a few sounds by searching the internet.

You are going to have the best time!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:52 AM

I've got "A Luangwa Adventure", all the sounds from the Luangwa Valley in Zambia. Picked it up at Mfuwe airport. Warning: Don't play bush sounds in the car. Forgot I had it in the cd player, came out of the mall, turned the car on, sounds of the hippo roared through the car...scared the crap out of me!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Perfect! This is just what I was looking for, thanks to all. Good search Sundowner, I would have never guessed that was a hyena and thanks for your offer John. You are very kind.

Marc, that CD is just what I am looking for...it lists the names of the animals you are listening to and thanks for the "look under the bed" warning!

Dennis...I can just imagine your scenario...too funny!

If anyone has animal sounds like Sundowner posted, feel free to link them here, that was cool!

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Carla,
At serengeti.org there is an "Animal sound game." Follow the link "Discover Serengeti" and the link to sounds is on the far right.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 08:52 AM

Another possibility-
http://www.safari-shop.de/SoundGuides.d.html
regards - tom
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 08:55 AM

FWIW, on my next safari (leaving one week from today ) I'm going to record sample sounds of most everywhere (when I can remember to do it) which will be useful for putting together a little DVD of pictures of our safari. The great little Canon S2 can record sounds associated with a photo or just a sound recording.
regards - tom
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 08:43 AM

How about this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=5174

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 01:03 PM

SLSMITH,
I have the CD you indicated and I bought it from Amazon. It is very good. I have used it as a soundtrack for the slide show I put together using Prosho gold. I can show the images on a high definition large screen TV and have the sound output through a surround sound system. Seems to keep everone from falling asleep. I do wish the lions were a bit more dramatic though.
Cheers.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

I just found this on the Africam website, the Sounds of Nkorho:

http://www.everyoneweb.com/ngala/

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Yes, I would recommend watching/listening to the Nkorho video cam on Africam, and check out the link that Carla provided--I recognized a lot of the night sounds that I had heard during my visit after I checked out that site.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM

The best of all these CDs (I have them all) is "Okavango Delta - Wild Creature Concert No. 1", a digital stereo recording of highest quality. If you hear this on a HiFi system you really think you're at a waterhole in the Delta, surrounded by elephants. This CD is out of print for years, but www.netbooks.co.za has still some copies available. Highly recommended.

Marc, Bwana Mitch links are case-sensitive, your link doesn't work.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 06:59 AM

There is some neat info here! Just marking so I can find thread again.
Samcat
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Carla - This website will provide some instant animal sounds while you await your CD. My favorite is the other worldly sound of a hyena howling at night!!

http://zar.co.za/sound.htm
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:07 AM

And I tried the opposite approach -- as a total novice, my subconscious brain assumed that the lion sounds I heard all night was actually my roommate snoring, so I wasn't worried at all!
However I was a bit annoyed at my totally innocent roommate, and was disappointed afterwards to realize that I had missed an exciting experience!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:21 PM

Apple's itunes site has hippo, hyena, lion and some others- for not too much ( I thing 99cents each- like a song) they are pretty good, and I love listening to them on my ipod!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:27 PM
aby

my favourite is the tree hyrax
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Thanks susic for the IPOD idea. I just downloaded a hand full from the Animals of Africa CD from Itunes and they sound great. These will make my daily subway ride to work like mini-game drives!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -