how much to tip at luxury south african lodges

Jan 24th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

how much to tip at luxury south african lodges

I know this is a bit of a touchy subject, but what is your opinion on how much to tip at a luxury lodge like singita royal malewane etc.
how much do you think is fair fro a guide, a tracker. rest of staff,
Ofcourse all this depends on service recieved, but i am curious as to what is the average.
Jan 24th, 2005, 11:22 AM

mhron,

15%...or $300 per night at Singita.

JUST KIDDING!

Just to let you know what I try to tip...

Guides & Trackers (I tip them equally since their is such a discrepancy in their pay, as the guides are usually white South African with college degrees and the guides never had the same opportunities) - About $15 - $20 per day each.

Host/Managing Couple - About $15 per day

Housekeeping/General Staff - My wife likes to tip very heavily to the housekeeping staff and will usually hand out the equivalent of $100+ spread out between various people, and this does not matter if we are staying at an ultraluxury place or staying at Kafunta for $200 per person per night.

I would encourage anybody staying at a luxury lodge to remember the housekeeping and general staff when it comes time to tipping.
Jan 24th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

roccco
are these prices per person or per couple.
Jan 24th, 2005, 02:03 PM

If you go to the website of every major booking place they will have a section on tipping.
Most of the camps in southern Africa have a tip box where management distributes the tips to the staff, including cooks, room stewards, and waiters. Drinks are usually tipped separately.
In East Africa you tip everyone separately except the cooks and laundry staff which go in the tip box. The managers are not tipped in south Africa as they are the managing couple, not so in East Africa generally.
Most places you book with will give tipping guidelines when they send you the tickets. Liz
Jan 24th, 2005, 02:23 PM

I went to the Taga Safaris website and the information they provide by country visited is at the following link: http://www.tagasafaris.co.za/Gratuities.htm

One time in Botswana I was trying to tip the cook for preparing something in particular for dinner and the camp manager told me that the cook was part of the staff and would be included in the distribution of the tips placed in the tip box. It created a problem to tip them individually because many would be missed this way. Tip boxes are placed in the reception area. Hope this helps.
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:05 PM

mhron,

That would be what we tip combined between both my wife and I. It probably works out to about $75 per day in tips, with about 60% going to the guide, tracker and manager/managing couple, but then with the remainder being spread to quite a few people.

The only people I try NOT to tip are owners of lodges that are acting as the managers/managing couple. I would much rather give those tips out to their staff and I really doubt that, as owners, they are expecting tips.

Search this Thread