Kikoti or Tarangire River Camp

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help Any pros or cons Going next August Sept. Having trouble picking those last accomodations. Also is Tarangire Safari Lodge the same as River Camp?
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:17 AM
bwanamitch

Can't say much about these three. Here are the links (and that answers at least your second question):

http://www.tzphotosafaris.com/

http://www.tarangiresafarilodge.com/

http://www.africawilderness.com/river/index_river.html

Mitch

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Hi there purple,

I was having the same trouble as you just about a month ago! If you do a search, I believe many people from this board have stayed at Kikoti and enjoyed it. It is a bit of a drive to the park gate, I think, but you have the option of doing night drives there (from what I've read).

climhighsleeplow stayed at Tarangire River Camp pretty recently, I think. I believe he quite enjoyed it, but perhaps you can dig up his thread (from May or June) for more info.

Tarangire Safari Lodge is less...I don't know, is fancy the right word?, but inside the park gates and less expensive, I think. Being inside the park would be nice.

Good luck--they all sound like good options to me.

p.s. We decided on Mawe Ninga, but I probably would have booked at any of your choices too. I love Tarangire; it's a beautiful park.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:42 AM

p.s. Sorry for all the "I think"s--I really should pay more attention when posting.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:49 AM

I stayed at Kikoti this past August and really liked it. Nice tent on a platform with flush toilet and running water. Only pain is that you have to ask 20 minutes ahead of time if you want hot water and then for me it was scalding and I couldn't use it. Otherwise, the camp is fantastic.

While night drives are an option, as Leely said, our guide said many people who do them at Kikoti are disappointed because the drive cannot be in the park, it is in the area around the camp and there are not many animals around. I can't comment on the actual night drive experience since we opted not to do it (and really had no desire to).
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Oh, and it is a bit of a drive from the park but we didn't mind--it doesn't seem that long.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 10:22 AM

I am just in the process of booking for Dec 2006 through Roy's safaris - I know the owner so the info. is sound.

Tar Safari lodge is inside the park and not the same as the Tar River Camp, which is about 3.8km from the park gates. It does look over the river which is a good 2nd best option, which we just had to take as the safari lodge is already booked! There is also tar Swala Camp inside the park, but more $$$$. Kikoti is further away from the park. Enjoy