How far in advance do Kwando camps fill?

Oct 10th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

How far in advance do Kwando camps fill?

I've heard that there are quite a few Summer dates taken for Chitabe for 2008. (That's North America's summer.)

If you had 7 days with a goal of maximizing the variety of animal sightings, and with a special interest in cheetahs, how would you spend your early August Kwando week?

Same question if you had only 6 days.
Oct 10th, 2006, 06:46 PM
santharamhari

Hi Lynn,

I just saw your e-mail and hv answered it. But i will reply here as well, for the benefit of other readers.

7 days at Kwando camps, and if i recommend to a first time visitor to Kwando camps....i would recommed 4 nights Lebala and 3 nights Little Kwara. I said Little Kwara, only because the Lion sightings there are spectacular. But, you've had spectacular Lion sightings on prior visits to Botswana.......if not, even 4 Lebala and 3 Lagoon will be good. Unless, water activities are high on your list of priorities. The Boat trip to Godikwe Heronery at Kwara is something unique.

The only reason i put Lebala in the itinerary is, it's my absolute FAV camp- and i dont hv any hesitation in sounding repetitive and parrot-like. Lagoon is fantastic also, but Lebala to me is just a touch special!!!

You can always to go Lagoon area(same concession) to hv a look at something special....usually just wild dogs or cheetah.

About how far in advance they get booked up........i know my Sister and her kids want to go there for their summer holidays, but, the entire month of MAY is fully booked up!!! They are scheduled for the first few days of June and hv to rush home ASAP to get to school. For August, if you know your specific dates, it's best to book up......August is a busy month with the holidays in Europe.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions either here or via email.

Hari

Oct 10th, 2006, 07:07 PM
santharamhari

Lynn, i just saw your post....2008?

I think you can do the booking this time next year easily....

I assumed August next year.....

Hari

Oct 11th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Hi Hari,
im curious as to why you prefer Lebala to Lagoon. i have only visited kwando once and that was back in june 2000 so maybe my experience is outdated, but i prefered Lagoon bc it was much smaller. it probably also didnt hurt that the wild dogs were denning 10 min from lagoon. so can you please give reasons for lebala being better as if there is a next trip for me to botswana, kwando is definitely on my list. it's definitely the best area in the world to follow wild dogs hunting. thx in advance.
Oct 11th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Good advice for 08 or 07 for those going sooner. Thanks.
Oct 11th, 2006, 05:04 PM
santharamhari

Hi Bigcountry,

Kwando Lagoon is now 8 tents, same as Lebala.(used to be 6)

Whilst the Lagoon pack was prolific back then, these days they den more often than not inside the deep mopane woods due to the high predator concentrations (Lion and hyena). So, at times they are difficult to locate. But yes, they do come bk and forth into the lagoon area. Btw, this isnt the original Lagoon pack you are referring to. According to one of the guides, the original pack died out and this is a new Lagoon pack. (5 or 6 at the moment)

Lebala to me the whole setting is stunning....wide open flood plains in the immediate vicinity. Great diversity of game viewing. Fantastic management and guides (not to say, this isnt the case at Lagoon). But, everyone has personal favourites and mine is Lebala.

Besides being in the same concession (Lebala and Lagoon) should there be a special sighting, one can always go to the other area to have a look.

Hari

Oct 11th, 2006, 05:05 PM
santharamhari

Bigcountry,

I did follow hunting dogs at Lebala in August. My trip report is here on fodors, "Back home from Kwando (Hari)"

Cheers
Hari