How cold is it in Tanzania in Feb?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to get a handle on my packing list for a northern Tanzania safari in February. I keep hearing that it's cold at the Crater and mornings on the Serengeti. How cold? Is a sweatshirt enough or do you need hood and gloves or double sweatshirts? Then how hot does it get during the day? Shorts? Do the zip off pants make sense? Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:56 PM

Here is a link to temp highs/lows. Wouldn’t you know it, Ngorongoro shows only highs and for Feb in the crater it is a high of 70.

I've only been there in July-Aug, but I'd go with layers and zip-offs on the bottom.

I like the fleece or wool bands for over my ears and the neck warmer. Gloves take up no room.

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:58 PM

We were there in February 2006 and only occasionally needed a sweatshirt (we took lightweight fleeces), usually in the evenings by the campfire. Had zip-off but never zipped them off due to the pesky tse-tse fly!
Make sure you have a good hat with you (Tilley type is ideal) and good sunglasses.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
sandi

February is summer in Tanzania, so expect hot weather. Can well be in the 80s most places, though mornings and nights will be cooler, maybe in the 60s. At Ngrongoro, it's always cold on the rim, but as you're not likely to be walking about, a sweatshirt or heavy sweater should be sufficient getting to/from your room. Zip-offs are fine, or throw in a pair of regular shorts if you have the room and keep within weight allowances if taking any short-haul light aircraft flights.

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:13 PM

Here is a great website that you can look up any larger cities in Tanzania for future weather conditions:

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/world-fo...A&metric=1

You might need to navigate through the links and pull down menus to get to Arusha, Tanzania. You can also convert to the metric or English system. It will allow you to look up 15 days in advance. We are leaving in 9 days ourselves. It has been really useful.

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:21 AM

I used my light wind breaker a few times last Feb. with thin layers to be stripped off as the day warmed.

Didn't wear zip offs (don't like them - personal preferance) I mostly wore comfy capris.
Never had a problem with tsetses.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:05 AM

We were just there for two weeks and appreciated a fleece at Ngorongoro for our 6 AM ride down into the crater, but otherwise didn't need anything beyond long-sleeves for the morning chill.

We had zip-off pants but left the legs on even mid-day, but we were usually not out between 11 AM and 3 PM, preferring to do early and late game drives.

Basically the weather seems pretty mild to me and you can probably get by with just a light jacket or fleece for Ngorongoro mornings.

Bill