Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

How Can I Make this Work? I know what but I don't know how or when...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2009, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my first real trip to Israel. I am having a hard time with the details and would appreciate some comments. (I've posted this question on another site but haven't gotten any feedback - so I'm hoping that it's OK to post here as well)

I want to visit (1) Tel Aviv - 1 or 2 days
(2) Jerusalem - 4 days (including Massada)
(3) Akko, Tsafet, Haifa, Mt. Carmel; Druze Village, Border Town, Kibbutz - 2 days
(4) Eilat - 3 days

I will be renting a car and hiring a private guide for part of the trip.
Here are the questions

1) I am usually most comfortable with a private guide so that I can maximize my time and hopefully see and do things that are off the beaten path. I will definately need a guide for Jerusalem. Do I need a quide for Akko and the north?

If so would it make more sense to hire a different guide for that portion of the trip. should I use one guide for jerusalem and the north? (unfortunately it will cost more to use just one guide due to the extra hotel and food but if it will make for a better trip, I will consider doing it.

2) Logistically, what order should I put these in.? I want to go to Eilat last

3) Should I go to Massada as a day trip from Jerusalem or should I go there on my way from the north to Eilat

4) This is not a "religious" trip for me, but I do want to go to the Wailing Wall. Is that a much better experience on Friday night - or does it really not make a big difference

5) Can I go to Massada on Saturday. Would I be able to hire a guide when I am there - or do I not need a guide for that.

I realize I have packed a lot of questions into this post, but I need HELP!!!!!

Thanks-
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM

This sounds like a great trip. I can't comment on the guides, as when I was there I was a student and made do with public transportation.

With that said, I would recommend including the trip to Massada as a stop off point on your way to Eilat. Ein Gedi is a nice hike near Massada, and you could also include the Dead Sea. I personally would probably skip Eilat altogether and allow for more time in the north. If you're looking for the beach relaxation portion of the trip, that can easily be had in Tel Aviv, while allowing you more time for points north.

As for #3 above, I loved some of those spots, including Haifa & Akko, along with spending a night at a kibbutz. 2 days doesn't seem like enough to truly enjoy.

Enjoy - with what ever you choose!
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 09:21 PM

The length of your trip is 10-11 days. Since this is your first time in Israel I would suggest dropping Eilat from the itinerary and concentrating on the rest of the country. It takes the better part of a day to drive to/from Eilat so you will spend only one full day there. You also don't say in what month you will be visiting; the weather is an important factor for Eilat.

Guides are optional for all of the tour; most of the standard sites have brochures, audioguides or are signposted. A guide in the Old City in Jerusalem is always a good idea.

For example, Massada has audioguides available:
http://www.parks.org.il/BuildaGate5/...&Bur=868634223

Check the parks site for what's available at all National Parks and Nature Reserves.

I recommend -
TA - 2 day; Jerusalem 3 days; Dead Sea (Ein Gedi & Massada) - 1 day; North - 4-5 days. I also recommend TA on Fri-Sat as J'm shuts down on the Sabbath.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments. Let me ask if this will work. We are going the end of April/beginning of May. At the moment, my husband wants to keep Eilat in the schedule.

Arrive - Tuesday afternoon

Jerusalem - Wed., Thurs., Friday

"Northern Israel" **(Sat, Sun., Mon)**
I was thinking Kibbutz, border Town, Tsafet, Rosh Pina, Druze Village, Mt. Carmel, Akko, Haifa. Is this enough or too much for the time allotted? (May-be off road jeeping? kayaking?) Do I have enough time to go to Massada from Jerusalem and then head north? If I don't want to change hotels every day - can anybody recommend a central area for me to stay for this part of the trip? I think this is the part of the trip that I am having the hardest part with.

Tel Aviv - arrive Monday nite / Tues/ Wednesday morning

Drive to Eilat - Wednesday afternoon

Eilat - Thurs - Saturday

Sun - drive back to Tel Aviv for a 7:00pm flight back to NY

Any recommendations or comments would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:56 AM

I too would omit Eilat. It's a full day drive from JER or TLV thru hot desert (especially by May).

Personally, I'd start at TLV, then head north to Mt. Carmel, Druze village onto Haifa and Akko; then across the top-end; finally driving south and ending in JER "saving the best for last"

From JER you can certainly do a day-trip to Masada, Ein Gedi.

Can't advise specifically about guides, but you can pick up individual guides at these places.

Just be sure your dates don't conflict with Passover or Shevout when many Israelis holiday and hotels are booked; many actually have minimum stays.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:59 AM

You don't need a car in Jerusalem. Most rental agencies there are closed on Saturday AM so you will have to pick the car up on Friday; check the Friday hours because they will be shorter. If you pick up the car at the airport check the parking situation at your hotel.

Why not spend Sat at the Dead Sea (Ein Gedi & Massada) then go back to your hotel in Jerusalem?

> Sun-Mon-Tues in the north. Tues in Akko and Haifa.
> Stay Tues and Wed night in TA.
> Wed - Tel-Aviv
> Thurs - drive to Eilat
> Fri-Sat in Eilat (what do you plan to do there?)
> Sun - drive to airport (you have to be there at 4PM)

Lots of driving for one week !
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:10 AM

The holidays are:
- Holocaust Remembrance Day April 11, 2010
no entertainment on the evening of the 10th; it is a regular working day.
- Israel's Memorial Day April 18, 2010
no entertainment on the evening of the 17th
- Israel's Independence Day April 19, 2010
outdoor shows, fireworks, etc on the evening of the 18th; full holiday (but not religious) - lots of activities.
- Lag B'Omer May 2, 2010
bonfires on the evening of the 1st; regular working day.
- Shavuout: May 19, 2010
full religious holiday (starting on the evening of the 18th). Tourist sites are open.