Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

How are our Southern California Fodorites doing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you doing okay.

Can everyone in the area of the fires please check in, hopefully.

My prayers are with you all!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 08:25 AM

We're doing OK. I've been packing up the 4 legged kiddies and taking them to work with me everyday. Thanks for thinking of us!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Other than breathing ash, we're all fine too-thanks for thinking of us!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 08:39 AM

How wonderful to be thought of! I am getting emails and calls from friends all over the country. In my little pocket I am quite safe from the fires.

Driving from my job in Santa Monica, I see the clouded sky above the mountains, that is from the Malibu area. My eyes were burning and red when I got home last night. I have some friends north of me in Canyon Country who had to evacuate on Sunday but did not lose their homes.

Some friends down in San Diego are also OK
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Doing okay. Yesterday was very smoky, but today the air is better. We're about 10 miles north of one fire and 10 miles south of another, but for the time being do not appear to be in danger.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Okay here in San Diego City - never in direct danger. Lots of ashes in the yard and on the car. We are so fortunate!
On a side note - I got an email from a friend in Gabarone - the fires made the news there last night. So my husband's T-shirt is true,by association - he is Famous in Botswana.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Thanks for thinking of us in SoCal.

So far, so good as I live in Pasadena; however, like Wayne I work in Santa Monica so I often see the clouded sky above Malibu as I drive to and from work.

I've also got family friends that have been evacuated in Northern San Diego area but don't know yet how their homes have fared.

Just keeping good thoughts....

Deb
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM

I remember how scary those fires could be from when I lived in S.Cal

Good thoughts coming your way.

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM

The air quality is much better today. Ash has been playing havoc with DH's asthma (even the cat has been sneezing a lot), but this is minor compared to the devastation some have suffered. I just keep vacuuming and changing the air filters and praying for the winds cease.

If anyone has tips for how to get ash out of fabric/curtains, please share.

Sandi, thanks for your thoughts. Say a special prayer for those firefighters; they have been incredibly brave and tireless in their fight to save our lives and property.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 02:23 PM

ash in curtains - a HEPA filter on the vacuum? honestly, I have no idea, but my thoughts are with you all! and that's great that you are taking care of the four footed family members! There was an article in the Washington post yesterday about the horses that folks had to abandon - hard to put one of them in a crate and in the back of the minivan. But, there are organizations that are taking care of them.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Just went back out to my motorcycle in the parking lot of my job in Santa Monica. Ash was all over it.

The air is hot and thick, the sky gold and red. weird stuff...
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:32 PM

I am thinking of you. The news shows unbelievable photos of what is happening i your area.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Thanks for thinking of us! Aside from having my school closed (cal state fullerton irvine campus) and layers of ash on cars and everywhere myself and family are all just fine. We definitely didnt get the worst of it in Orange County.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:46 PM

2 nights ago the fire swept over the ridge and raced down the hill. So I abandoned the house and headed out onto the golf course. The fire was stopped about a couple hundred yards from the house and contained in my area. Back home yesterday AM. Lots of people not so lucky. We watched a couple $$$$ homes go up in flames. Nothing the firefighters could do. But they saved the vast majority of others. Even got to watch the planes do their dance in the air unloading fire retardants.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 04:37 PM

thanks for asking Sandi, we're doing fine in San Diego. things seem to be gettng a little better for the urban areas today as the winds are switching but it was really really hot today 95 at my house. Unfortunately now the back country is in more danger now.
Ash every where.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:03 PM

luangwablondes and everyone else-glad you and yours are o.k. my heart goes out to all going through this disaster
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:19 PM

Glad all of you are okay .......
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM

The sunset tonight at the beach reminded me more of Africa than So. Cal. A big huge orange ball peering through all the smoke. The air is so hot and dry, no wind, the ocean is flat. As the sun set I looked to the east and a big orange full moon was rising. My thoughts and prayers are with those who suffered losses.

Stakerk (Kevin), Spiegelcjs and a few others I met at the LA GTG...hope you are all ok.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 08:39 PM

We're not in any direct danger, either, although we could see the smoke and flames of the Irvine fire from our neighbor's deck on Sunday night. The Santiago fire is east of us. The air smells as if thousands or millions of people have been smoking outside all at once. We have several friends in San Diego who are much more affected, but so far none of them have lost anything or needed to evacuate.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Glad to hear good things from those on the left coast. Thanks for reporting in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -