Where to watch the State of Origin in Capetown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a huge Queensland supporter and so am looking for a place to watch the 3rd State of Origin rugby league match on July 15th in Capetown. Any suggestions?????
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:41 PM

I very much doubt that this will be on TV in S.A. I have all the satellite sports channels and I can't remember ever seeing any Oz rugby league games. It's not a code that is followed here. In any event, the schedules are not yet out for July.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:36 AM

Hmm. Maybe there's a glimmer of hope. I had a look at the DStv online guide, although it only lists up to the next 14 days. (www.dstv.com/dstvsa/content/en/sa/listings_guide - look under DStv Premium.)

And I was wrong, there is some Oz Football League. So perhaps that game will be shown. On "Supersport 7" I found what seem to be summaries ("the best AFL events") of Round 10 (10 June) and Round 11 (17 June). Although at 01h00, and there aren't going to be any sports bars open then! And most hotels only have a couple of the DStv sports channels. There is also an apparent repeat of that Round 10 program on Supersport 2 on Sunday 21 June at 20h00, seemingly a "filler".

So have a look closer to the time. Although if it's on one of the more obscure channels and/or in the early hours, you may have to get really friendly with a local who has DStv!
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 03:26 AM

Hi macca

I am also a Queensland supporter, but then I live in Brisbane. I have never seen the games over there but have looked up the results on the courier mail website and had someone tape me the game.

Unfortunately, ArthurSA, the AFL is a football played in Victoria, not the same as rugby league.

Go the mighty maroons!

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 03:40 AM

Ah. I did know what he meant by "rugby" league. But then didn't stop to think. I do know of the AFL. (That's "footie", right? And invented by cricketers.) And now I think more clearly, I have seen snatches of that in passing on DStv. But not of rugby league, whether from Oz or Britain. So the possibility probably reverts to non-existent.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 03:46 AM

I think you maybe right ArthurSA. It may be footie to some, but not to many north of Victoria. You guys have rugby union and we have rugby union and rugby league. Yes, the other 2 nations that really play league are Britain and New Zealand. So Macca will need to get a friend to tape it.

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 03:54 AM

And I know the frustrations of trying to find a broadcast of an important game when travelling. Usually without success, even when staying in 5* hotels. (For conferences, not by choice.) But there have been exceptions, given enough will and research. An English mate of mine and I attending the same conference once managed to find an out-of-the-way pub in Athens to watch an England/South Africa 50-over cricket match.

But rugby league? Nah.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 03:55 AM

Union rules!
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, guys. I guess I will have to get it taped then!! Hopefully QLD will win the 2nd game, wrap up the series 2-0 which will make the 3rd match redundant. Would have been great to watch it though.