honeymoon in morocco?

Dec 28th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

honeymoon in morocco?

Dear All,

We would appreciate some advice. We are getting married at the end of August 2006 and are considering Morocco as a honeymoon destination. We would have about 10 days and are interested in mountains, nature reserves etc. However, we find being hassled to buy things constantly very tiring (this was the case when in Delhi!), and would prefer to minimise this if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions of peaceful and beautiful places to go?

We would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks!
Dec 28th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Marrakech is definitely a wonderful place to visit but like most places, you will get hassled to buy stuff. I think it depends on how you handle that. It can be good to stay in a gorgeous Riad, like Riad Enija, where you can relax after a tiring day seeing all that Marrakech has to offer.

The place you will most likely escape it is in the High Atlas mountains staying somewhere like the Kasbah du Toubkal. It is wonderfully peaceful and you can do some great walks from there.

Have a look at my site for some more info about Riad Enija and also Kasbah du Toubkal. Both would be glorious places to stay for your honeymoon.
Dec 28th, 2005, 09:27 AM

oops...forgot the address!

www.mcdougalladventures.com/category/morocco

Dec 28th, 2005, 09:36 AM

congratulations! There is a beautiful place called Kasbah Toubkal, at the base of Jebel Toubkal (the highest mountain in Morocco). Its a wonderful place from which to explore the mountains, hike, etc. It should be very hassle free.

You also might consider a trip to the Sahara (Zagora or Merzouga...Zagora would be closer to Jebel Toubkal). A couple nights under the stars would be very romantic (though not exactly super luxurious!)
Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:35 PM

Congratulations !!!

I did my honeymoon in Marrakech and it was unique !

You can check this website for beautiful riyads in Morocco http://www.terremaroc.com/gateway-home.html

You can have a Moroccan wedding I know that The Palmeraie Golf Palace offers something like this: http://www.hotelpgp.com/ang/autres/miel.html

Or if you have some money to spend, you can go to Amanjena, the most beautifu hotel in Morocco, and which is very relaxing !
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:30 AM

Congratulations! We just got back from a two-week trip in Morocco three days ago. What a trip! We first spent four nights in Marrakech then two in Essoueira then drove to the Atlas mounatians. Finished the trip (and celebrated new year) in Fez.
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:46 AM

Sorry. Didn't get to finish the previous reply.

Anyway, we found a trip to the coast area very relaxing. Go to Essouierra, Safi and down to Ilfran. People do not pester you as much. We found Marrakech to be too stressful and commerical-driven. Love Fez. If you have to choose between Marrakech and Fez choose Fez. It is the biggest imperial city. The medina is a must-see, much more interesting than Marrakech. Definitely need a guide in Fez though. It costs us 150 DH (about 16 dollars) for a half day tour. Interested in buying Moroccan carpets. If you can buy them in Fez. We bought 5 carpets altogether. If we had more time we would have also driven to the sanddune near Erfoud. Heard it was a great place to visit. Something different. The drive through the Atlas Mountains is a must (of course if you have time). If you do not like being hassled, do not go to Marrakech. It is the worst there. Though I would say every Moroccan is a hassler (even a five-year-old). When you arrive in Morocco (esp. big cities), make sure you have some small changes (like 1 or two DH) in your pocket to give to beggars. We don't remember how many people we had given money to. They just approached us and asked while we were eating, shopping, walking around, getting lost, etc. They are much worst than in India. VERY agressive and persistant. You will get used to it in a couple of days though. You guys will have fun there. Please remember to negotiate for everything. At least 30-40% off asking price. Have a nice riad to recommend in Fez. It is called Riad Zamane. Magical. Owner lives there so it is informal. The staff are super friendly. Dinner wonderful. Get a big room (ours is called Safir suite).
Jan 11th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Morocco is looking better and better to me for my next super vacation spot.

Given a choice, what three weeks of the year would be the best (most comfortable weather) for touring? Would be going to Fes, Marrakech, Rabat, Merzouga and a few other places. Options are March or April and September or October.

MatthiesA, How did you get those 5 carpets home?

Luckykat, I don't have time to check your site now but will. Thanks for providing it.

Thanks for any information.

Jan 12th, 2006, 04:35 AM

Luisah,

If possible visit Morocco in fall (October is perfect). Best weather.

The five rugs? We brought three of them with us (in the luggage). The weight limit to the the States is very generous. I believe it is 64 kgs. per person. The had the other two shipped (they are bigger rugs). Still waiting for them...We also bought some furniture in Marrakech (we believe we paid way too much for it). The guy said he ships via DHL. We are still waiting for that too...

Have fun!

Search this Thread