home from SA

May 9th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

home from SA

We just got home from South Africa and had a fabulous time. It was way too short and I'd love to go back again. In practical terms, we stayed at the View Suites in Cape Town (www.capetowncity.co.za/suites) and thought it was perfect. It's between Kloof and Kloof Nek, an area with lots of shops and restaurants and you can easily walk out from your hotel and get coffee or a meal or use the internet cafe. We had a one bedroom with kitchenette and it was well-decorated, well-equipped and clean and the beds were heavenly. The view is also staggering. Jimmy was very helpful too. At the corner is a fun restaurant called Cafe Paradiso and down the hill a block is the nicest gift shop I saw in Cape Town (didn't spend too much time shopping tho) called Heartland. Beautiful colorful baskets are easy to bring home. It's also an easy walk into downtown from here.
Some of the highlights of trip were: all the wine at great prices, the beauty of Cape Town and the surrounding areas, the trip to Robben Island, meeting Selwyn and taking his suggestion to visit a township with Mzwake, and a stay at Inyati for two and a half days in Sabie Sands. Inyati was our big splurge at half price in the off-season but we loved it. Seeing the animals so close and in their habitat was amazing. We saw everything including the leopard who had just polished off an impala (head and spine dangling from the tree branch) and had a major case of indigestion.
My daughter says she wants to honeymoon in SA and I'm dying to go back and see more and include Botswana and other places.
The people were all wonderful, we experienced no crime or the threat of it, and we loved it all.
May 9th, 2004, 06:48 AM

Tobler

Welcome home,glad you enjoyed Inyati.

Do you know the name of the leopard you saw,did you see Makwela's new cubs?

Who was your ranger?

Is the Sand River still flowing strong at Inyati?

Did the SSGR live up to it's reputation?
May 9th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

We did see the cubs, they were adorable and I wanted to take them home. The mom was sick when we were there. She threw up a vile black liquid. Garry (our guide) thought maybe she had drunk some poisoned water. I sent an email to Inyati to ask how she is (as a mother I have to worry) but I haven't heard back.
Solly was our tracker and he was amazing, seeing animals in the far distance that were invisible to us.
There was plenty of water in the river and the hippos were mostly submerged.
May 9th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

I should add that Garry was a pleasure to tour with. He knew so much and was funny too. Inyati was terrific. I can't see how a place like Londolozi can be that much better that the extra major $$$ can be worth it.
May 9th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Tobler

Thanks for the reply.

You right in saying that Londolozi isn't better in any way it's just more luxurious,Tree Camp anyway.

Great to hear they have enough water for the dry season!

This leopard (Makwela)once suprised me on our wooden deck while I was having a bath at Ulusaba Safari Lodge,I really hope she will recover.

Please let us know when you hear back from Inyati.

Search this Thread