Help with telephoning Kenya from the USA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to anyone in advance who can help me out with this.

I'm headed to Kenya later this month on business and need to call a contact in the UN Secretariat. She's given me her number as 0733 284268. I call overseas to Europe all the time, but I can't seem to get through to Africa. I've tried dialing 011-0733 284268 and 011-733 284268, and neither works. I don't know what else to try. Can anyone help?

Also, planning to add 3-4 days onto the end of the trip and want to go on a day-long or two-day safari. Have been told that Treetops is a good outfit. Any other suggestions?

If you had 4 days only to spend in Kenya (outside Nairobi), how would you plan? I am doing a lot of online and book research, BTW, but would also like Fodorites' input.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM

http://www.howtocallabroad.com/kenya/
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:22 AM

Try 011-254-733-284268
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:23 AM

Try 00254733 284 268.

D
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:23 AM

The numbers you show appear to be mobile numbers. What's missing is the Country Code... 254. See if that works.

If you have 3-4/days, I would suggest you go out to the Masai Mara. You can fly to/from Wilson (domestic) airport, be picked up the lodge or camp and enjoy 2 game drives and 3/meals daily. This would probably give you the best experience for the short period.

Do note that Nov is "low" season as it's the "short" rain period, so prices should be good. Though rain is expected, it's usually an afternoon thunderstorm or overnight... rarely is this daily.

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:28 AM

Treetops is in the Aberdares. There's another waterhole viewing lodge there called the Ark that seems to get better reviews.

Do you only want a day or overnight safari or would you consider spending the extra 4 days on safari? If only the former, can you tell us what your interests are for the other days?
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:36 AM

For 4 days outside Nairobi at the end of Nov.

I'd do
2 Amboseli
2 Masaai Mara
if I wanted a chance at views of Kilimanjaro and was especially fond of eles, which are prevalent in Amboseli.

I'd do
2 Samburu
2 Masaai Mara
to maximize the # of species seen if that was important. Samburu has unique antelope, zebras, giraffes, ostrich, and a good chance for leopards. There are some lodges (Samburu Lodge, Serena Samburu Lodge I believe) that bait for leopards at night, meaning you are almost certain to see one.

I'd do
2 Nakuru
2 Masaai Mara
if I was hoping to see the Big 5 of ele, rhino, buffalo, leopard, and lion. Nakuru has rhino that are usually seen and quite a few leopard that are sometimes seen. Two days there makes the rhino viewing much more likely and the leopard viewing somewhat more likely. Also this is the spot for flocks of flamingos. The Mara has some rhino, but it is not common to see them.

I'd do 2 Sweetwaters
2 Maasai Mara
if I wanted to see rhino and chimps. There is a Jane Goodall Chimp Sanctuary at Sweetwaters for rescued chimps. They are not wild but enjoy a natural setting. This also has a good waterhole and rhino live on this private concession.

I'd do
4 Mara if I wanted to minimize travel and thought maybe I'd actually have only have 3 instead of 4 days ("planning to add 3-4 days onto the end&quot. Also if I wanted to increase the odds for cheetah and maximize the lion viewing, I'd do 4 in the Mara.

Availablility will dictate what is possible.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you all so much!

Part of my problem is I don't know exactly how many days I'll have to work - probably three, but possibly more - so it's hard to plan.

Right now I'm planning on departing the USA 11/16 and leaving from Kenya 11/26. It's a full day to get there, so I'm not really on the ground until 11/18. Then, I know I'll be working 11/19, 11/20, and 11/21, but it might be another day (I assume Thanksgiving is only celebrated by the American expats there), or even two. So, unless I push back my departure date, I'll likely have only three days for fun and adventure.

As to what I'm interested in - everything! I've been to North Africa several times, but nowhere else on the continent. I'm interested in history, food, markets I know about the Masai Market in Nairobi), wildlife, anything cultural, and I love exploring and being surprised.

I'm guessing I'll have further opportunities to go there and neighboring countries for business, but would like to treat this for now as a once-in-a-lifetime experience, even though I'll have limited time, so I'd like to make the most of it.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:05 AM

If you won't know till you're on the ground how much time you'll have, you can book once in country. Either your hotel can arrange a trip, or you can contact a few in-country outfitters, such as:

Eastern & Southern
Wildtrek
Africapoint
Southern Cross

... there are many others (these just off the top). The thing in your favor is the time you're traveling... end Nov. Not likely many places will be fully sold out.

While a few others suggest breaking up 4/days with 2/days at different locations, getting from one to the other will entail light aircraft. While this is better than navigating the roads over these distances, even air eats into time on the ground at the Mara, Amboseli, Samburu, etc. I'd concentrate on one area... the reason I suggested the Mara, which really deserves 3/days...2/days is really rushed and exhausting.

If not the Mara, then Samburu, or Amboseli... in that particular order (my preferences). And, if you have an extra day, you can spend in/around Nairobi... plenty to keep you busy for a day - sightseeing at Blixen House, Giraffe Center, Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, markets, shopping.........

You'll also have opportunity to experience Masai life whether in the Mara, at Samburu or Amboseli where visits are arranged; also visiting a local school.

You really won't want for things to do with whatever number of days you have.

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:46 AM

Regarding dialing to Kenya. The link provided above has the right info. You should drop the starting zero when dialing this Kenya cell from outside Kenya. So you should dial: 011 + 254 + 733 284268. When you are in Kenya you should dial the exact number that was given to you (07..).

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I've got my schedule sorted out now. I'll arrive 11/16 around 8 pm. Assume I'll be totally whipped on 11/17. I'll have 11/18 free (it's a Sunday). Will work 11/19-11/22 and have 2 days after that before going to Amsterdam for 3 days.

So, really, one full day to sightsee at the beginning, unless for some reason I can avoid jet lag the day after landing, and 2 full days at the end.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:03 PM

So your free days are split!

On the 17th you’ll probably be up for some activities around Nairobi after a good night’s sleep, such as those mentioned by Sandi. Then you have the next day. Here are some threads on things to do around Nairobi.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34701817
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34756844

It would be possible to fly to a park for one night, such as Amboseli or Sweetwaters if you really wanted to instead of concentrating on Nairobi.

For your 2 days at the end, I’d go to the Mara. I agree that 2 days is rushed and I always suggest no less than 3, but you only have 2. Since you are treating this as a once in a lifetime visit, I would not miss the Masaai Mara while in Kenya. Otherwise Samburu or Amboseli or Sweetwaters, assuming you did not go to any of those places on your overnight on the 17th.

One other reason I’d pick the Mara is because you can leave on a morning flight to get there. Then, assuming your departure flight out of Nairobi to Amsterdam is in the evening, you can take the latest flight out of the Mara, which leaves around 3 pm-4pm. So that last day you have more time in the park. You can check out some air schedules here.

http://www.airkenya.com/index.asp

For one person staying just 2 nights you should be able to get accommodations last minute, especially if you are flexible. Check out www.e-gnu.com for prices.

When you return a quick update about what you decided and how it went would be helpful to others who find themselves in your position with just a couple of days. I hope your business travel takes you to Africa again and affords you even more leisure time.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:06 PM

I didn't think the 7:44 post made it because I had to shut down the computer and it wasn't there when I turned it back on. That's why I posted the next one. But there they both are. Oh well.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, atravellyn.

Yes, my days will be split up, unfortunately, and I MIGHT be able to take a day away from Amsterdam and add it to Kenya, but as this is a work-driven trip, it's unlikely.

The Mara it will be, and thanks for the links to help me plan it. There are two of us, actually, but I'm still guessing we can get reservations. I'll get on that tomorrow!

And yes, I'm treating this as a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but the fact is, if I do well working with this group it might be the first of many opportunities to go back, and not just to Kenya.

I've been to North Africa a number of times, and though I expect Kenya to be a completely different experience, I am already an Africa-phile. I'm hoping this trip will just enhance my affinity to that fascinating continent.

Thanks again! I'll be sure to post when I get back. I'm an inveterate journal-keeper.