Help with side trip from Marakech?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello. I usually hang out on the Europe and Asia boards, but I知 planning a fall trip that includes Morocco. This will be my first trip to Africa aside from Egypt at the end of 1999. I知 doing 13 nights with an Intrepid tour (www.intrepidtravel.com.au/trips/XKP) but I値l have three nights in Rabat at the beginning and another five nights after the tour finishes in Marrakech.

The tour will overnight in Casablanca, Meknes, Fes (via Volubilis), Midelt, Merzouga (visit Erg Chebbi), Tinerhir (visit Todra Gorge), unnamed location via Dades Gorge, Ait Benhaddou (via Ouarzazate), Imlil (via Tizi n'Tichka Pass), and Marrakech.

I知 thinking of taking a bus to Essaouira for two nights, which leaves me three for Marrakech and a possible side trip. I知 a solo female traveler in my early sixties, on a budget. Given what I値l see on the tour, what would you recommend for a day trip, or maybe an overnight, from Marrakech? Or between Essaouira and Marrakech? Should I arrange a car and driver, or use public transport? Taroudannt and Taliouine sound interesting, but a bit far, and I don稚 want to trek at the end of November. I知 a big waterfall fan, maybe the Cascades D丹uzoud?

I have a hotel reservation for Rabat, but recommendations for Essaouira and Marrakech would also be welcome.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi thursdaysd-

I just returned from Morocco a few days ago. I wish I had time for the longer trip you are doing, but I just did 4 days Marrakech and 2 days in Essaouria.
With your 5 extra days, I would suggest 4 nights Marrakech and 1 night Essaouria. If you are flying out of RAK, you might do 3 nights Marrakech, 1 night Essaouria and then back to Marrakech late on your last day for a final dinner/overnight before flying out the next day.

I would definitely recommend the lux/tourist bus between Marrakech and Essaouria. It only costs about $7 for the 2.5-3 hr trip, and was very adequate. (you can google Supratours). They run about 5 or 6 times per day and tickets need to be bought the day before/can't be booked online.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi cruisinred - thanks for the feedback and the bus info.

I get the impression you preferred Marrakech to Essaouira, is that right? My tour spends the last two nights in Marrakech, in the Nouvelle Ville, so the last morning I was going to check out, take the bus to Essaouira to chill out for a couple of nights (the tour is a bit fast-paced) before coming back and staying somewhere in the medina for three nights. I need to be at Marrakech airport at 10:00 am the last day.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi thursdaysd-- I spent five days in Essaouira in March and could happily have spent another day or two. No formal sights, as such, but the ramparts, Medina, souks and Mellah offer plenty of activity, and there is the daily auction in the Joutiya. The port and all the activity there is endlessly fascinating, also, and if you speak even a little French, it's easy to strike up conversations. Just outside of town are groves of Argan trees with flocks of goats grazing. The goats climb up into the trees! Nearby is a small women's cooperative where the fruit from the argan are shelled and ground to produce argan oil for culinary, medicinal and other uses. The goats are a necessary part of the process - the fruit has to pass through their digestive tracts before it can be used. Also nearby are several abandoned shrines which are very picturesque. Here are some photos, if you're interested. It's a photographer's dream of a place. http://jmstudio.fotopic.net/c1475634.html
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Great pix, julia! Essaouira looks really good - maybe an extra night there instead of Marrakech? No-one has yet come up with any day trips from Marrakech.