Help with a 3 week itinerary

Jun 1st, 2005, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Help with a 3 week itinerary

Hello. We've been planning 3 week honeymoon in Morocco and have a couple of questions.

1] We plan to do the following (by bus/trains/grand taxis): Fly into Casablanca and head straight to Rabat (2 days, then progress to Meknes/Volubilis (2 days), then to Chefchaouen (2 days), then to Fez (3 days), then (via overnight bus) to Erfoud/Merzouga (3 to 4 days), then to Marakesch (3 days) +/- Essaouria and Casablanca at the end. Are we crazy? Is this doable?

2] Is it that much better to rent a car or can we travel by bus/train?

Thanks for your help!
Jun 1st, 2005, 06:44 PM

you might want to consider renting a car. Roads in Morocco are very good and you will have no problems with signs as everything is in French (except some of the smaller towns). I hve been to morocco twice, with a car both times, so don't know as much about buses/trains. Haveheard from others that buses are not that great and are not very punctual. I have been to all places on your list except Erfoud/Mergouza. The rest are all great! The only one i would reconsider is Chefchaouen. It is a nice small town in the mountains - not sure why you are including in. Could be nice to be away from touristy stuff though. I would definitely consider more than 3 days in Marrakesh. One thing we wanted to do but didn't have time is from Marrakesh to cross the Atlas mountains to Ourzarzate, which is a the last town before the Sahara. From there you can see the dunes and ride into the desert (how far is up to you - from 1 hour to spending the night out there). Casablance is good for a day, if that. The mosque there is impressive - otherwise, would only go through as a transportation hub. Essaouira should be nice. Also, look into Agadir. haven't been there, but heard good things.
Jun 5th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply! When you were traveling by car did you have any problems with parking in the larger cities (eg Marakesch or Fez)? How much did you budget per day for your trips?

I keep on wavering back and forth about the car/train so this feedback has been helpful.
Jun 9th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Just a thought if you are interested in going to Merzouga you might want to look into going to "Kanzerremal" a hotel outside of Merzouga in the desert. www.kanzerremal.com I am going there in July but have heard fantastic stuff about it and the prices seem very reasonable.
Jun 9th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Just came back from my fourth trip to Morocco last week. Here are some suggestions:
Marrakesh = totally intriguing place, 3 days is the bare minimum.
Essaouira = went there for the first time this trip, interesting medina, great fish to eat along the sea 2 or 3 days would be very relaxing
Rabat = Went there once, would skip it.
Meknes = a day and a half
Volubilis= It's ruin so you don't need more than half a day
Fez = Medina is great for maybe two days but the new town is not very interesting.
Agadir = SKIP IT!!! Went there 2 years ago and found it a colossal waste of time
Tiznit =interesting small town for a day
Taroudant = interesting small town
Quarzazate = a way station with little to recommend it except as "the door to the Sahara" and Ait Benhaddou, a Hollywood style recreation of a Ksar
Erfoud = a small desert town but at 52'Celcius didn't see many people on the street.
Casablanca = a transfer point only

Jun 13th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Lucrecia - thanks for the tip. I looked at the website and it looks wonderful!

GEsssa - thanks for the insight - how did you travel around?

Search this Thread