Search

any recommendations on safari in april

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any recommendations on safari in april

hi everyone,
i know that april is the rainy season but that is the only time that i will be able to go on my safari. any recommendations as to where i would still be able to get a decent experience? currently i'm thinking of going to lake manyara, ngorongoro crater, and serengeti. please let me know any thoughts. thank you so much!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 01:31 PM
sandi

One thing for sure... the prices will be much lower. As to the rain, who knows. You might have rain every day, or only overnight, or on alternate days, or very little rain, with luck maybe none. However, if you hit a really wet season, don't be surprised to be bogged down in mud, often having to wait for someone to arrive to pull you out (and don't expect AAA to be coming to your aid); roads may be closed and these can be very slippery. The thought of driving down into the Ngorongoro Crater if seriously wet, it not very appealing and will certainly get the adrenalin going. And if it's wet, surprisingly, the animals do have a way of hiding out. I guess no one can say whether you will have a decent experience.

All the negatives aside, I know people who love to travel during this time - besides lower prices - Tanzania is "so green."

You can still get low prices at many lodges/camps thru June; personally, I'd put off safari this year - go elsewhere where you're not likely to be wet, cold, everything is damp, and possibly quite miserable. Reschedule the trip for later in the year or next year when the weather will be in your favor.

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

sandi,
thanks for the reply!! what about doing a safari in malawi at that time? is this any better/different? also, do you recommend booking a safari in advance and if so which companies are good? do you think i will be able to find cheaper prices if i go there and book? thanks so much!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 03:29 AM
sandi

Sorry, but I don't know much about Malawi, so have to advise to where, what, when, with whom!

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 07:22 AM

cheese101

Since it seems you may be open a variety of locations, check out this site for best times in different parks.

http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html