Help! Rug buying in Egypt

May 4th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Jeff

Help! Rug buying in Egypt

I am going to Egypt in October. I want to purchase some great persian rugs while in the Mid-East. Is Cairo the place, or should I make arrangements to include Istanbul in my plans?

May 5th, 2001, 01:12 AM
Becca

My understanding is that you can't really trust that the Persian rugs you buy in Cairo are really Persian. Apparantly there are a lot of knock-offs and lesser-quality rugs. Have you considered including Syria in your plans? Damascus has some great Persian rugs at affordable prices, plus it's just an all-around great city.

May 5th, 2001, 08:14 AM
gail

On our tour they took us to one of those places tours take you to buy stuff (we assume so the guide gets a commission). It was called a "Rug School" The propaganda we were told was that poor kids are "offered" an opportunioty to attend a rug school from age 6. They "learn" a skill - rug making - 2-3 hours a day and receive a "good education" the rest of the time. While we were there, incredibly young looking kids were making rugs. It was disturbing. (This was just outside of Cairo).

May 7th, 2001, 02:02 AM
Michelle

You need to be a little wary when purchasing your rug as many, while incorporating Persian patterns/designs, are actually made in Northern Pakistan. These can be beautiful rugs, but they're not Persian.

If the object of your trip is to buy Persian rugs why don't you go to Iran. It's a really interesting country and the rugs can be purchased at a far cheaper price than elsewhere (no middle men). Also, if you like the Persian tribal rugs, there's a huge market (usually August) when the tribes come into Tehran to sell the rugs they've made over previous year.

No matter where you buy, be prepared to bargain hard.

Have fun!

Jun 16th, 2001, 08:59 AM
Betty

Jeff, I went to Turkey and Egypt last year. I had the opprtunity to see carpet factories in Egypt, but none as I saw in Istambul. If you can make arrangements to include Istambul, do not hesitate to do it. I love the Acient Egyptian Culture, I'm an egytpmaniac but Istambul is great. Istambul is the place to buy may things, not only carpets and also there are many places to see. If you can go to Istambul, you also should include Cappadocia. This is a region with landscapes you will never forget in you entire life. And as I understand, where you coul get the best prices for carpets.

If you need more information mail to me,

Betty

Jun 16th, 2001, 05:25 PM
wagih

hi ,first of all you will welcome in EGYPT and you will find a very good market with very good prices

Jun 17th, 2001, 02:07 PM
michele

Jeff,
Buy your rugs in Turkey OR Syria (gorgeous rugs). Do NOT buy them in Egypt; the quality is not as good and many are made elsewhere.

Michele

Jun 17th, 2001, 03:27 PM
wagih

to:Michele i want to till you that the Rug in Egypt is one of the most good kinds all over the world and you can ask !!and all of them made in Egypt

Jun 23rd, 2001, 12:22 PM
Jeff

Gail is on the money about the "rug schools;" they're pretty shameful. The child labor is disturbing, though I suspect that most oriental rugs are made by kids. At the Egyptian "rug schools," however, it's patently obvious that the rugs being offered for sale were NOT made by the kids working there. There's no telling where they actually come from.

You'd be better off buying an oriental rug from a reputable dealer stateside than trying to find a bargain in Cairo. Unless you're an expert, you'll probably get ripped off.

Search this Thread