Help on visiting Cape Town/Garden Route

Oct 24th, 2001, 07:06 AM
mark

Help on visiting Cape Town/Garden Route

I'm flying into Cape Town for 9 days in February and wonder if anyone has any great ideas in terms of dividing my time between Cape Town and driving around, travelling on my own. How far along the Garden route is achievable?

I'm looking to stay in really nice hotels so any suggestions of quality hotels, especially smaller ones would be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

Oct 24th, 2001, 08:35 AM
james

If you've not been to CPT before, you're in for a treat - it's my favourite destination anywhere. I would give yourself 3 days in town, acouple of days in the winelands and the rest for the garden route. The garden route is better in spring rather than late summer when you are going, but it's a pleasant enough drive - you could get to Knysna comfortably. As far as hotels go, there are plenty to choose from in CPT Mount Nelson for history and an old clubby feel or the new hotels on the Waterfront, Cape Grace, Victoria & Alfred are all top notch, maybe one in Constansia, The Cellars - in the winelands I would definitely stay at The Grande Roche in Paarl or Le Quatier Francais in Franschhoek - The GR is an absolute favourite of mine. Enjoy, it'll be difficult not to!

Oct 24th, 2001, 08:56 AM
L

Last week I saw a small brochure on the Garden Route ... perhaps you could check with the SA Embasssy here in DC ... they could obtain it. I know that the Cape Grace Hotel provides it to guests ... if you send them an e-mail they will mail it to you. Driving on the left side is relatively easy. May I suggest two nice restaurants in CT: Quay West in Cape Grace, and Villamora in Camp Bay, about 20 minutes from CT. The wines are superb and inexpensive ... you are in for a treat. One idea: have you considered a drive along the coast to Hermanus, to see the whales? Two hours. If you do, take N2 past the airport to the exit to Gordons Bay, and then follow R44/R43 along the coast to Hermanus. The Auberge Burgundy is a great place to stay (Esme, Elsabe and Simone manage it), and the Seafood Restaurant in the Maribe Hotel is wonderful. Hope you like SA ... we loved it. Ciao, Leone

Oct 31st, 2001, 03:28 AM
nikki

Lucky you, we have done a lot of research into small hotels in south africa. Very detailed reviews of our favourite ones in Cape town and the Winelands and lots of photos can be seen on www.i-escape.com. We haven't yet loaded up the ones in the Garden Route but if you want to contact me i would be happy to give suggestions.

Nov 12th, 2001, 02:57 PM
miriam

My husband and I were in Capetown last Feb. Did the wine route and safari. We're thinking of going back this February (just found a interesting special on the web). Plan on doing the Garden Route this time. Are you going to do your own driving? We had a private guide last time and are thinking of having him again-he does the driving. I'm not to keen on driving in SA.

Nov 15th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Jenny

Just a note to say that we drove J'burg - Cape Town in 6 days, so you should be able to take some time on the Garden Route and do it pretty well. We still saw and did a lot even with all the driving....

Also, remember, with the Rand being as weak as it is just now, most hotels will be much cheaper than you would expect. We were on quite a tight budget, and stayed in Holiday Inn type places for the equivalent of about 25 GBP per night !!!

If you want to see our itenery, email me on hotmail, and I'll dig it out.

Search this Thread