Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help on my wedding, hotel choice and safari for South Africa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning our wedding/honeymoon in South Africa and would love some advice.

We are flying into Cape Town on January 28, 2008 and I think we're going to stay at a B&B. The cost difference between a B&B and a nice hotel is over $500. I was thinking about 51 Camps Bay B&B. Does anyone know it?

On February 1st, we are going to rent a car and drive to the Cape of Good Hope and then to Hermanus. We were thinking about getting married on the beach there. It is only going to be the two of us. Any thoughts of where or if another area is better?

On February 5th, we want to go on 3 or 4 night safari. I was originally looking into Phinda or Mala Mala but it's about $600 per person per night which seems outrageous. Any other affordable safari that you can recommend?

Thanks fodorites!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Not far from Phinda is Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park which is run by KwaZulu Natal Wildlife. (Check www.kznwildlife.com for more info). They have a wide variety of accomodations available and are a much less expensive option to Phinda (which we also did). They offer guided game drives plus you can drive through the park and spot animals on your own. We saw too many animals to name, but loved seeing the zebras and giraffe right next to the road. The Rough Guide describes the park as "KwaZulu Natal's most outstanding game reserve, considered by some even better than the Kruger" and Lonely Planet says it is "one of South Africa's best-known and most evocative parks".
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 12:20 PM

There are a number of lodges in the Sabi Sand area that are cheaper than Mala Mala. And while that looks like a lot of money, it really isn't for what you get. You can also self drive in Kruger as many have done, then splurge for two nights at the end of the trip.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 05:57 PM

If there's any way you can do it (or get the family to cough up the bucks?), I say SPLURGE on Mala Mala or Londolozi. It seems like a lot, but isn't for all the amenities and best game viewing. And this is a trip you'll remember the rest of your life. I always think it's a choice between memories and things. I'll take memories any day.
Leslie
But if you can't, search "Sabi Sand" and you'll get lots of less expensive alternatives.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 06:08 PM

If you want a wonderful place to stay in Sabi Sands that I think is reasonable (at least it was when we stayed there a few years ago), check out Elephant Plains. The rooms are individual rondovals and they are very nice. Plus the staff there couldn't be nicer. The game viewing was amazing (I was just showing a friend some of the pictures we took there of leopards and cheetahs). Their website is: http://www.elephantplains.co.za/
Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon!