Search

HELP! Need Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Need Suggestions

My trip which started out being just myself, my husband and son has now grown to over 12, actually 13, if a grandmother joins us! We'll be 6 adults and five children, all first time travellers to Africa! We are toying with both SA/Botswana and Tanzania/Kenya at the moment. However, we want to stay in small camp sites - with nice lodges and perm. tents, so I know we have to book early for July 2006. If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or helpful hints on ANYTHING, I would appreciate it! This is a first for me, not only in travelling to Africa, but also in planning a trip with this number of people(made up of three families, and three generations!)PLZ HELP!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:29 AM

I would go Kenya/Tanz. Better game viewing, better value and far safer than S.A.
Photos of our travels in Africa
www.franceinfocus.net/vlc39.html
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I forgot to say we plan to stay 12 nights.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 04:17 AM
sandi

Agree with Kenya/Tanzania. You can find small intimate camp sites for your family alone; also permanent tents or lodges. Many, but not all permanent tent camps are small, so in some cases you will be occupying the entire place. All depends on your budget will determine what is available.

I would start immediately contacting tour outfitters to get what you want for your entire group at the same place.

As to air, you've got to work on that as well. But suggest you build a day in at the beginning at your arrival city if everyone cannot all arrive on the same day; likewise at the end, if all can't depart on the same flights. Wouldn't want only 1 person to be late or left behind.

You will find thru a search on this board a number of in-country outfitters who can probably provide the best pricing. Search in the box on top - enter "kenya/tanzania tour operators" + enter. A list of threads with this information will appear on the left with names.

Choose 3 or 4 and send them direct emails with your requirements, number of days, types of accomm. and your budget. If any of your party have difficulty walking steps or hills, mention this - it can impact selection of accommodations, or any needs particular to your group.

If you've got questions, return here and we'll be glad to work with you. But get started now.

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi, great suggestions! I'll begin working on this right away. I will certainly appreciate and seek you all's feedback once I begin to get qoutes and itinieries back.
Another question...with the numbers traveling are there likely to be any discounts applicable (with lodging and/or airfare)?
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 01:15 PM
sandi

The only discounts available would be for children under 12 on airfare (maye 50%) and same at most lodge/camps, but not all, some maybe only 75%. Some also reduce prices for teens up to 16, some to 18 (few on the latter). That's about it.

And if children are sharing with parents, ascertain what accommodation any lodge/camp makes. Such as - two double beds, one king bed, they bring in a day-bed, whatever... know before you go. If you choose to put two youngsters into one room, one of them will likely have to pay an adult price.

July is high season... no one is going to be giving anything away.

And as mentioned in the other thread - if 12 are traveling you'll need at minimum 3-vehicles and requisit guide/drivers.