Help! Need Place to Stay in Kruger!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - you all have helped me when I've been in a jam previously, so I thought I'd reach out again! I will be arriving the Kruger area on March 15, 2007 and I will be staying three (3) nights. I am trying to same within a reasonable budget - hopefully no more than $500 USD per night (and a bit less is better, though I am trying to be realistic). I am running out of places to check online/email regarding availability (I guess I started this process too late). Can you all help by listing all of the "Reasonably priced" places in Kruger you would recommend staying at so that I can begin to contact each of them? I am really focused on seeing the animals - luxury is secondary. Thank you!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:07 AM

Try Protea Kruger Gate. Nice hotel, at Kruger Gate, near the highway of animals (road from Skukuza to Lower Sabie) We stayed there and we liked it very much. You cannot enter park before opening, but can be there at 6.00AM sharp, good time to view animals. Resrevations on line at Protea website, much cheaper than 500$ (maybe 120-150$)
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:33 AM

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger...ailability.php

Shows availability of all the camps in Kruger (not the Sabi Sands)
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Re: Protea Kruger Gate, do they provide transportation 1) into the park each day and throughout the day; and 2) transfers to and from local airport (I believe MPQ)? Thank you!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:40 PM

We've stayed inside Kruger in the self-catering rondavels and cottages, restaurants are available. They were comfortable and clean, but not luxurious, costing only about $100 US a night, with a hire car to find our own wildlife. The web-site of Thit-cho gives you details.
For a three day stay, Lower Sabie and Satara would be good, with loads of wildlife. There's an airport at Skukuza, which may be more convenient,if you don't have a car, but is a lot more crowded. You would need to book tours, without a car.We loved finding our own wild animals!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:34 AM

wolfebd, Kruger is designed for a self-drive trip, and its very easy to explore in a 2WD rental car. If it were me, I would rent a car and stay in the park. I would bet that over 90% of the visitors are driving themselves. No need to stay outside the park and pay someone to drive you around.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:46 AM

We hired a car and it was more convenient and saw more animals than those we saw with a tour/ranger in an open vehicle arranged at Kruger Gate , but if this not an option, call hotel. I know they arrange tours wih rangers and I think they should be able to arrange transportation from airport too. The tours in open vehicles offered by luxury camps tour the same roads other vehicles do, either private or official, hotel etc. In our experience, animals seem to like paved roads (maybe warmer floor) so do not think that going in a 4WD is a real advantage for seeing more animals. It depends more on the weather, availability of water etc. We loved Protea Kruger Gate hotel. Lobby is one of the most beautiful I have seen. Dinner and breakfast are good, affordable and the location is very convenient. You need a vehicle to go into Kruger, but this hotel is 200 meters from Park gate, so you can also arrange with an official tour/ranger at the gate office (we booked morning drive, it was raining, not many animals on sight, it was cold) Our car (Honda CRV, tall and good for animals)was more confortable.