Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help in picking Madikwe lodge--one or two? Which one?

Jul 11th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

This is a continuation of another thread about whether to stay in Madikwe at all. My husband and I have decided to do so for our first safari. Our age dictates we avoid malerial areas.

Which lodge or lodges should we choose? Our travel agent has suggested Madikwe Safari Lodge, but I found a post on Trip Advisor mentioning an ant infestation. Mateya is highly recommended, but expensive, and I am afraid it might be too glitzy or pretentious for us.

We are going in March, 2010.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Judy
Jul 11th, 2009, 06:05 AM

We stayed at Thakadu Tented camp last year but it is five star accommodation which we couldnt fault. The guide was incredibly knowledgable, the food was superb and we loved everything about it. Its also community owned and run so you will be giving something back too. We also had a visit to their local village which I think was organised especially for us upon request.

Here is the link www.thakadurivercamp.com.

PM me if you want any more information
Jul 11th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Again as in my other reply the Madikwe Hills Lodge is simply gorgeous. Set on a hill side overlooking a small valley with a water hole below. Meals/ food excellent. Rooms are like a small house, get number 2 it is closest to the common areas, least walking and steps.

regards - tom
Jul 11th, 2009, 08:07 AM

Hi. Have only stayed at Madikwe Hills Lodge, but agree with Tom and can strongly recommend.
Jul 11th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Also, if your safari in Madikwe Reserve is 3 or 4 nights then I'd stay at only one lodge/camp. If 6 or longer then I'd split between two. If 5 nights, then...??

regards - tom
Jul 13th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Hi Judy!
Have a look at www.madikwegamereserve.net. It lists the accommodation in the reserve and makes it easy to compare the possibilities. Make a choice based on your priorities (small camp versus larger camp - we prefer the smaller camps; type of accommodation - tents vs cabins; maximim number of people put in a safari vehicle during a game drive - the less the better; how easy is it to get to the camp from Joburg etc. Then, search sites like this one and Trip Advisor to see what people say about the place. Happy researching! Robin
Jul 18th, 2009, 02:29 PM

jgordji,
I just replied to another of your posts about this topic.

I have been to Mateya and will say it is not at all glitzy or snobby! The place is very relaxing and quiet, staff so friendly, the food was fabulous, the rooms very private and so comfortable....but we ate dinner with the clothes we wore out on our game drives! No dress code or no pretentious atmosphere whatsoever.

Our ranger ate with us (or not if we so chose), we loved having time in our private pool watching game walk past, and overall enjoyed the beautiful surroundings. I think it would be a wonderful place to include in your first African adventure...notice I say "first"!!