Help! First Time Visitor

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! First Time Visitor

A group of us (12 people) will be visiting South Africa next March/April. So far we have decided on the itinerary below. Please let me know if we need to change anything. We are willing to add a day or two, if it will make the itinerary better. As part of our trip, we will be renewing our vows at Little Bush in Sabi Sabi.

Cape Town (5 nights)
Johannesburg (2 nights)
Camp Jabulani (2 nights)
Sabi Sabi - Little Bush (2 nights)

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Help me please. Thanks.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Looks good to me and congrats on the renwing of your vows.

I always think more days are better, so if you can add any days, here's how I'd add them.

Little Bush
Another day here may make the vow renewal less hectic. If there is a problem of some kind (which there will likely not be) it gives you another day. A three night stay is a more relaxing finale with 12 people and will give you an opportunity to see more animals.

Cape Town
When you lay out our Cape Town plans, if 5 nights is just right, then I'd leave it. But if one more night would make things less rushed or would allow a diversity of activities that might appeal to your big group, I'd add a day here.

Camp Jabulani
An extra day will allow plenty of time with the elephants (for elephant riding) and with traditional game viewing.

Why 2 nights in Johannesburg? Are these transit days or do you have something planned there? You may only need one night.

Have a wonderful time.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! We are thinking about staying only one night in Johannesburg and, maybe, adding 1-2 nights at Little Bush or another camp.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 06:03 AM

We just returned from SA and the only thing I would change would be to end the trip in Cape Town rather than begin it there. Cape Town had the most beautiful African crafts of all the places we visited. We didn't make any purchases there as we didn't want to be transporting them with us to the two lodges we stayed at in Sabi Sands and reserved our shopping time for Jo'Burg at the end. Also, we were limited to weight and number of pieces of luggage on internal flights. We really never found the vast amount of really beautiful and inexpensive items in Jo'Burg as we had seen in Cape Town. If you plan on doing any shopping, this might be something to consider.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Hi

You have something to look forward to I just came back from Joburg and Cape Town and I'm in the process of making a Cape Town trip report. Maybe you can find some useful in this Joburg trip report from a couple of years back http://gardkarlsen.com/johannesburg_...frica_2004.htm . And we went on a safari a couple of years back too...here is that trip report http://gardkarlsen.com/djuma_vuyatela_safari.htm . Get in touch if you have any questions

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:20 AM

Hi, I would definately add some days to your trip if you can. South Africa is huge and very diverse and I would see as much of it as possible while you are here.

Why not do the Garden Route from Cape Town and then one of the private game reserves in the Eastern Cape. From there you could fly to Kruger and end up at Little Bush Camp. This will give you the chance to see some of the most beautiful scenery in South Africa and vary your experiences here.

With a group of 12, it will be quite cost effective to hire a vehicle and guide for the cape town and garden route part of your trip and this will give you a much greater insight into the country and allow everyone to relax and enjoy the trip.

I would suggest you travel in March too as our Easter school holidays are in April and things will get very busy.

I also have a comment on one part of your proposed itinerary which i do not wish to post on a public forum so if you want to hear it please e-mail me.

Mark
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:27 AM
pippa13

as a first timer i would do the following:

fly to cape town, stay there2 or 3 nights, go to franschhoek/paarl/stellenbosch for 2 or 3 nts and visit the wine lands.
then take a morning flight to joburg, cherter a plane or van for transfer to madikwe reserve, 3,5 hrs drive/45 min flight.
madikwe is malaria free and has got the "magnificent 7" means the big five plus wilddogs and cheetah!
in madikwe i would spend the whole time in impodimo lodge which has got a tracker/guide team and do as many game drives as possible!

from madikwe back to joburg and further home.

happy planning!

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Jed

Welcome, first time visitor.

May I suggest next time a more informative title, such as "Need info on SA"?