has anyone heard of "African Quest Safaris"

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

has anyone heard of "African Quest Safaris"

Hi i was wondering if you ever used African Quest Safaris? i'm thinking of using them, but haven't found much feedback. do you have any advice? this is what they are offering:

AFRICA QUEST - $1935 TOTAL -
6 nts w/private guide/mini van at all parks

nairobi x1 night
drive to samburu lodge x 2nts
drive to nakuru, lion hill x 1 nt
drive to nairobi, to fly to keekorok x2 nts
fly to nairobi.

I have asked for clarification, & they have stated repeatedly that i would have a private guide at all times, for 2 passengers. what do you think? Should I believe them? I'm scared of being promised private guides, & getting dumped off at some of the lodges instead?
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 05:24 AM

Believe your earlier posts indicated you didn't want to drive and here you are will a drive only itinerary.

The other posting indicated some driving, especially Nakuru as there is no airstrip/flight here.

But if you choose a drive only itinerary that you have the same guide/driver throughout. Only when you fly-in do you use the guides at the particular lodge/camp unless you choose to have exclusive use of vehicle/guide for an additional cost.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 06:14 AM

I would ask them to clarify the exact arrangements at Keekorok since you'll be flying in. Normally fly-in guests would use the lodge or camp vehicle/guide on a shared basis with other guests. Will they be sending their own vehicle and guide out to Keekorok to meet you on arrival or are they booking a private lodge vehicle for you?
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

thank you for your responses. I appreciate your time. the African Quest Safaris itinerary was slightly updated to so there will be 1 less driving leg:

Nariobi (1 nt)
DRIVE to L.Nakuru (1 nt)
DRIVE to Samburu (2 nits)
FLY Samburu-Masai Mara (2 nts)
FLY Masai Mara to Nariobi

TOTAL PRICE $2045.

I was skeptical about the private driver that was also promised in Masai Mara, & asked for clarification. their response was:

"You will a different driver for each location. It will be our driver guide who would have driven there the previous day and would be waiting at the airstrip the day you arrive."

Sounds convincing to me, but what do you think?

Old Dec 1st, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

I just returned from my safari in Kenya, with African Quest Safaris & my trip was life changing. I can't wait to go back. African Quest did a great job & delivered on what they promised. They even replaced a picnic lunch (for the drive on the way from Nairobi to Lake Nakuru), with lunch at the Carnivor Restaurant, at no additional charge. Also, our tour was supposed to officially end with transportation from Wilison Airport to International Airport for our departure, but we had a 6 hour layover (at the International AIrport) & they offered to provide transportation from any restaurant of our choice, back to the International Airport at 8pm, at no additional charge. We ate at a restaurant called Pampa, in an unbelievable 5 star hotel. Continuous food & buffet for about $30 USD.
The only thing they could have done better was inform us that one of our direct flights from Samburu to (Keekorok) Masai Mara was rerouted due to the airstrip at Keekorok under repair. We had 2 additional stops on the was to Masai Mara & had to use the Sarina airstrip instead, & didn't find out until we overheard the flight attendant talking to another passenger on board. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but 1 person in our group is a panicked flier, & she had to endure 2 additional take-offs & landings on airstrips.

Last recommendation, we had 2 guides for our trip. Both made us feel very safe & were very accommodating, but 1 was very enthusiastic, & at every possible opportunity, went above & beyond our expectations. I highly recommend him, request him if you can, Daniel (i think his last name is Mogaka). I believe they have about 60 guides at African Quest. Good Luck & feel free to get in touch if you have any additional questions about African Quest.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 08:07 AM

Glad you had such a wonderful time with Africa Quest. It does not get much better than life changing.

Those extras they provided were nice.

Will you be telling us about your wildlife sightings?
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the update! Glad you had a great time. Will you be posting a report and pics?