Search

Guide for Egyptian museum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2010, 07:35 AM
jat
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guide for Egyptian museum

My husband and I have one day in Cairo by ourselves before starting a tour and had planned to see the Egyptian Museum on our own. However, after reading about it, it seems like we might get more out of the visit with a guide. Is it possible to hire a good guide on site at the museum? Or other suggestions for hiring a guide?
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 01:25 PM

I've just come back from a private tour with Lady Egypt. One of our days was scheduled for the Museum obviously but we also had some free days that were just that - nothing arranged so if we wanted we could of sat around the pool all day. However, on our second last day we decided to go to the Museum. We'd had Hamdi the first time (and for our first 6 days) however he was not free the next time we went - we loved him and asked fo rhim again. We were not sure if we would need a guide again but as it was only 70 US for a guide and driver for the day we took up the offer. We were told that we just needed to give them a days notice. We thought that we might just wander around ourselves and let the guide follow us and ask questions. However, Nasser, our guide for this day told us his plan and his loves at the museum so we elected to do the regular tour - him leading and showing us what he wanted - then we had free time.

I am not sure about hiring a guide at the museum however the Lady Egypt guides were so knowledgeable and interesting to talk to that we were so glad we had them with us both times. Many items have no descriptions and seem to be haphazardly placed around the museum in no order so the guide is a great idea. I asked them both about their favourite museum item or favourite tut item. It was wonderful to hear them talk so animatedly about their loves and why they loved them.
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 01:58 PM
jat
Original Poster

Thanks so much-this is helpful. I am going on a LE tour as well, so I will talk with the tour rep upon arrival about this.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 02:18 PM

You will be suprised at the museum. It is not in any way shape or form like what most of us are use to. I was there almost three weeks and went 3 times. You just can't take it all in in one visit JMHO. I bought a copy of a good guide book that is illustrated and goes room by room - some things were in a different place but it was fairly good and just took my time. I had seen the Tut stuff twice when in was in US so skipped that as that was of course the most crowed area.
It is worth while to pay the extra for the mummies, and don't bother to take you camera as you can't take one in, they check purses at the door after you have been scanned on entry to garden area, and you end up back tracking to the camera check.
A lot of the stuff does not really tell you that much and the guide book was really worth while to lug around. The Treasures of Ancient Egypt is the title of the one I used but there are many Casual Cairo may recommend something better.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 03:08 PM

HI Jat

There are guides also available inside the museum that you can organise when you go to the ticket office. We didnt use them ourselves (as we were with our own guide from Egypt Quality Tours) but they are available there.

Scotsgirl