Good Earth - Changing Itinerary???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are getting ready to book our safari for next summer and am very concerned about some of the posts regarding Good Earth changing the lodging. There seems to be no excuse for this happening and reading about it more than once makes me second guess booking with them. I would appreciate any thoughts or other suggestions for other safari companies.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 05:07 PM

I'd like to know what substitute was offered. On my Tanzania trips, my bookings were changed too, both times in Tarangire. I'd make sure it is an upgrade and make your wishes known to GE about an upgrade before leaving home. I think this is not uncommon in the busy season in Tanzania. But Oct, you'll likely have less trouble.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 06:10 PM

Good Earth seems to make a practice of changing agreed lodgings. How common is this practice among other Safari operators in Tanzania (Roys, Ranger, etc)?
Jon
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 06:35 PM

It happened to me with Ranger both times. The substitute was 100% better the first time and something I could not have afforded. What a lucky break! The second time the accommodations were more expensive and nicer than what was booked, but I would have preferred the original location.

Lhgreenacres, it might be wise to run your itinerary past Roy's just to see what they say. Can't hurt and you might pick up a pointer or two.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Our trip is planned for August, not October, so we are in high season. Nothing has been changed yet as we have not booked with any company and still researching. When we questioned Good Earth about this problem they told us that it is really only an issue with Serena/Sopa, bigger lodges who over book not with the small luxury tented camps. We are only staying in small camps so I would love feedback if any one had this problem with those types of accommodations.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:09 AM

Serena & Sopa are known to do as Good Earth mentions and is most frustrating to all the outfitters. Though some outfitters fare better than others. The smaller camps, once booked, rarely, if ever pull the space and leave visitors hanging without a place to lay their heads. Based on the fact that OP is using mostly Asilia properties, and from my own experience, shouldn't be a problem.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Why did I think Oct? I'd agree with Sandi that small camps should not pose a problem. One reason GE may seem to pull the switch more is that they use the Serenas/Sopas more often to keep costs down.