going to Egypt questions

Apr 8th, 1998, 06:28 PM
Herman Moy

going to Egypt questions

My wife and I thinking of taking a tour of Egypt during the week of 5/23 -5/31. The usually places, Giza, Luxor, nile cruise. What is the weather like at this time? What should we know? Is it safe? Should we wait til November? Our tour company is Insight. Any tips and advises will be appreciated.

Apr 16th, 1998, 03:04 AM
Jeff Jacobs

Anytime of the year will be fine...a couple of tips..

The Nile cruise will be brilliant if you choose one of the smaller cruise boats...try to avoid the large ones.

Giza is brilliant...give yourself a full day to explore the pyramids and the sphinx site. One thing you must do is visit the sound and light show at the Sphinx site...its on every night.

Avoid going to the places south of Giza via the desert road...if you want to see the oasis...hire a professional guide..dont do it alone.

Last point..in Giza...one option is to hire a taxi for as long as you are there...dont pay more than about 20 Egyptian pounds per day (but my numbers are in 1996 pounds).

Have a great trip.

May 10th, 1998, 06:47 PM
Joanna

Late May should be very pleasant for a Nile cruise.

Good luck travelling with Insight - they stuffed our holiday completely in 1992. We had no hotel to go to the day we arrived and for the duration of our stay in Cairo we were forced to stay in a three star hotel away from all the sights instead of the five star hotel we had booked and paid for. We were not informed before we left home even though Insight had known about this for some time. I sincerely hope you have no such problems. Bon voyage.

May 12th, 1998, 02:09 PM
MBMulkey

My wife, parents and I just got back from Egypt. Now is a perfect time to go. Since the incident in November at Luxor, Egypts tourist industry has taken a nose dive. This is bad for Egypt but good for you since you won't have to worry about any crowds. We used Insight and had no problems with them. If you are taking a vidio camera, be sure you either have an adapter that works or, do as I did, buy extra batteries and fully charge them before you go. You can use your vidio camera everywhere (sometimes at a small price), except at the Valley of the Kings and Valley of the Queens. While at the Valley of the Queens, see if you can get your guide to take you early. The tomb of Queen Nefrateri (not sure of the spelling), which was once closed to the public, now accept the first 160 people per day. It is the most spectacular of all the tombs. You will be pleasanty alarmed that there are security guards everywhere. Even places you wouldn't expect. We all felt quite safe and actualy safer there than in many other places we have traveled. The people are very friendly and all of them know how to say "Welcome to Cairo".

May 13th, 1998, 07:18 AM
Neal Sanders

My wife and I were in Egypt last November; we had originally planned a May trip, but kept hearing about the "50 day wind" in May and June that is reported to be akin to the Mistral in Provence -- constant and annoying. As to safety, we were there just after Luxor and found that the Egyptian government was willing to take any measures to ensure the safety of tourists. We've spoken to a few people who have been since we were there, and they affirmed that the heightened security was not a short-term measure but, rather, a new and seemingly permanent policy on the part of the government. As to places to go, we considered Insight but weren't impressed by the breadth of their itinerary but, then, we wanted to spend two weeks seeing Egypt in depth. Insight didn't offer Abu Simbel, which is a must-see, or Saqqara (below Giza) which provides the early dynasty tombs. We were also suspicious of the number of stops at rug factories and such that are the bane of any organized tour. We ultimately went with OAT which, while far from perfect, at least provided an excellent tour guide and the right number of days in and out of Cairo. The Nile cruise is part of the delight of a trip to Egypt, and the smaller the boat, the better. OAT uses Abercrombie & Kent's Sun Boats, which have only 40 cabins.

Search this Thread